chernefitter

Lake Mohave Report

4 posts in this topic

Hello fellow boaters on the west coast...We just came back from our yearly boating excursion on beautifull Lake Mohave just outside of Bullhead Az. The good news is the water is clean and temps are perfect!! Love that place! The crummy news is they are repaving.widening the entrance to Katherines Landing! Non Union company out of Texas and they are soo slow and way behind. I hears they started in Feb. and have a long way to go. After washing and waxing the colored gelcoat on my Chap I was extremely disappointed having to drive on wet dirt roadway with the usual amount of washboard to boot. About 3 miles of it. Had to wait a half hour for the escourt truck in one hundred 16 degree heat. My poor enging with AC running!. I can only imagine the hairy nightmare going on the Holiday weekend...Have fun if your going!!!!!! Excuse any typo errors.. Happy 4th!

Sounds rough, nothing worse then road work on vacation, especially in Ariz heat..  You have to love this area in the summer, it's so hot but so fun.  We came to Parker Arizona for our maiden voyage on the Colorado River.  I've been boating for many years but never on a fast moving river like the Colorado and never with a Chaparrel.  There were so many boats and jet ski's that the river was extra choppy which made things like launching, docking and picking up boarders in the river even harder.  One morning the river was so low that we damaged our prop in a shallow area.  We were definitely thankful for Spanky's Marine business in Parker, they put the new prop on without labor charges.  Our boat is a 2006 215 SSI Chaparrel with a V8, 5.0 L - 305 CU Engine and only 105 hours on it, it's beautiful.  But I couldn't seem to get it to perform, seemed like it was restrained somehow.  I was lucky to hit 40 mph every once in awhile.  It felt like a tank in the water and it was really slow starting off and then I felt cheated on the top end.  Neutral to full throttle range didn't give appropriate responses to lever adjustments either.  Any ideas??  

There are a lot of factors when considering top end speed and performance. A lot of folks here could chime in with good ideas..My take is this..your engine is on the smaller size, but good enough for your 21 footer. Things that hinder performance can be number of passengers, amount of fuel on board, prop setup and ALSO trim settings...The more trim down you have the slower your boat is gonna go. My rule of thumb. water conditions permitting is my RPM's should match my MPH. Flat water conditions make this easy. If its choppy you need to trim down and keep the nose lower to keep from porposing...or that dreaded bouncing up and down....Google your boats perameters will be a big help also. Good Luck!! John.