Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edreg104

Saint Lawrence Seaway

10 posts in this topic

Heading for the Thousand Islands for vacation, July 16th to the 30th. I believe Pirates weekend is in that stretch. I've been to all the towns and attractions most tourist go to. Looking for something a little off the beaten path. Chap 216 ssi, so i stay away from the really big water.

Cruise to by boat. Have been to: ABay, Clayton, Gan, Potters beach, the bay at Pitcon Island, Boldt Castle . Maybe do a trip to Singer Castle on Dark Island. Was really looking for some "hidden spots" that only the locals know about. 

singer castle is nice. right across fron singer is cedar island state park. look for the gazebo on the point and the docks are behind it. Summerland island group in a nice spot people anchor and hang out. Have you been to Lake of the isles yet? its another hangout party spot

Thanks John, yes have been to the cove near the narrow in lake of the isles. Was to Singer Castle once, didn't go in. Was a very rough ride back into the wind. I'm staying on Wellesley Island near Densmore Bay. If it looks like a calm day i'll check it out. Looked at the map and it looks like a lot of rock and shoals in Chippewa bay.

Chippewa Bay across Singer Castle and Cedar Island State Park is nice. Enough water for our cruiser and much bigger boats ... just have a chart with you.

You can also head WEST from Wellesley Island onto Canadian Middle Channel, that will take you back to Gananoque area and farther to Howe Island. Plenty of islands, bays, and small craft channels to explore, as well as Canadian 1000 Island Parks on the islands. You've got to have at least a paper chart with you. The rocks and shoals are what makes 1000 Islands.

Here is the area I am talking about ...

1000_Islands_zpsykc2shrr.png

You could head further WEST using very sheltered Bateau Channel on the north side of Howe Island toward Kingston. Then come back heading south back to Canadian Middle Channel and from there north east back to Wellesley Island. Optionally you could use a cut between Wolfe Island and Grindstone Island to go south to get to the main shipping channel near Clayton on the American side.

Plenty of waterways to chose in 1000 Islands … have fun!

Edited by Richard W
Route description correction.

if you do go to Singer. stovin island in Brockville Ont has a great cliff for jumping in. Doesnt look huge from the water but when you're on top it looks a lot bigger lol..

Sounds good, I always have good, up to date charts with me. The area looks nice and is someplace I have not explored much.                                                                                      As you turn to starboard, heading west from the Canadian channel, and go through the Gananoque narrow look to port, great cliff jumping place. But these days you have to call in if you anchor or step foot off the boat in Canadian water.

Use "insert other media" button if you have URL of an image that is already stored somewhere on Internet, Photobucket for example.

Otherwise you are limited to the 500k of attachments in total.