aboaterman

2006 - 2007 290 Signature Camper Canvas

I have a 2001 280 Signature, which was re-badged as a 290 in 2004. I am looking to replace the canvas with the newer style which came out in 2006 -2007 for the 290. My canvas goes under the arch, and the newer canvas attaches to the arch. Hopefuly this will give me the additional headroom at the helm that I need, I'm 6'4". In addition, the speakers and lights on the arch will be inside the canvas, instead of outside, and it will be easier to fold up the bimini to the arch.

I have a connection to Taylor Made- Ameritech, which made the factory canvas. He is trying to get me a deal on a replacement. I am looking for pictures of the full camper canvas, and I need a Hull Id or Vin number for Ameritech to identify what was provided. 

I have a feeling that I might be able to use the original bimini poles, just mount them on the arch towards the stern, instead of going under the arch. That would also save me a lot of money, stainless is expensive. Any pictures of the mounting locations, hardware, dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

I added a picture of my boat, and an image of a 2006 290 from the internet. Hopefully someone on this forum has a camper canvas similar to this and would be willing to share some information with me.

If you are concerned about posting your Vin number on line, you can send any inforrmation to me at Bilacqua@verizon.net. I will not share the information with anyone other than Taylor Made - Ameritech.

Thank you for any assistance you may provide,

Brian

2001 Chaparral 280 -1.jpg

2006 290 signature.jpg

Suggest you get one locally made and stay away from Ameritex and RNR Marine.  Double that suggestion since you are NOT using the original for you boat. Be prepared to NOT get any service or fixes should sometime be amiss. 

I am having one made as we speak that will be like  the second picture. We used the old frame but had to move it forward and add a few pieces here and there.

Having custom canvas made is the way to go. you can add features that did not come in the factory canvas. I would like to have the front and side glass so that it unzipped to let in air. I would also like the aft  entry so that it goes all the way down like the cockpit cover. Also I would use better glass.  All this when current canvas wears out.