Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chappy275ssi

Promariner Protech-3 Charger

13 posts in this topic

Hi all of my fellow Chappy boaters! I hope your boating season has been going well. I have a question for all of you who have the Promariner protech-3 battery chargers. Mine seems to have gone kaput. I have power to the charger, but my charger is not working. Did anyone else just have the charger go kaput, and if so how did you fix it, or did you just replace it. If so what did you replace it with. If you fixed it what seemed to be the problem with it. I know there is a relay switch, and I will have to check it before I replace the charger first. Do relays go bad often? Lots of questions I know. But any help would be appreciated!:boating:

8 minutes ago, paulswagelock said:

Call their tech support number. They will talk you through troubleshooting. If it is bad, they normally offer a nice discount on a new one.

+1,. They will help you.

Manager, Technical Services Group
ProMariner 
200 International Drive 
Ste 195
Portsmouth NH 03801
Direct Line: 603-766-7603
Customer Service: 800-824-0524
Fax: 603-433-4442]

Check the voltages to your batteries. I have seen them short out and that could cause the charger to fail. Also, check the 120v A.C. line to the charger and the in line fuses to the wires that lead to the batteries.

If the battery is total dead (0v), replace it. If the A.C .voltage is there and all the fuses are good and still no output. Replace the charger.  

Just an update. I had two 1000 MCA starting batteries. I was using one of the batteries as a house battery while on anchor. I guess because I was using it as a house battery so much it would not keep a charge for very long. Long story short, I ended up going out and buying two 1000 MCA deep cycle batteries and replaced both of the old batteries. Since I replaced both batteries, my charger seems to be working again. It must have been the battery that wouldn't hold a charge that was causing by charger to malfunction.  

Ok back at it again. My battery charger is kaput. I was told that is fried my two brand new batteries that I installed last year. (Hope not)!!! Any way, for those of you that have replaced your battery chargers, is it a do it yourself thing or should I get my marina to do it? I am handy and particular so I feel confident tackling the job myself. Just want to see what the rest of my fellow Chappy boaters think. Also Scubajohnsonben thanks for the link for the new charger. Looks top notch. Any other recommendations on chargers to replace my original one with? Thanks guys!

I bought my charger from the Charger Guy.  However I see that they are no longer selling marine chargers.  They were selling re-manufactured chargers at a real cheap price with warranty from the manufacture.  

Replacing the charger is pretty easy.  Two wires going to each battery and three wires for the AC input.  

The battery charger has internal fuses as well.  One for each battery and one for the input AC voltage.  Did you pop the cover an check the fuses.  Sometimes they have some corrosion and just needs to be cleaned up.

14 minutes ago, Jjlai724 said:

I bought my charger from the Charger Guy.  However I see that they are no longer selling marine chargers.  They were selling re-manufactured chargers at a real cheap price with warranty from the manufacture.  

Replacing the charger is pretty easy.  Two wires going to each battery and three wires for the AC input.  

The battery charger has internal fuses as well.  One for each battery and one for the input AC voltage.  Did you pop the cover an check the fuses.  Sometimes they have some corrosion and just needs to be cleaned up.

+1 I also bought my re-manufactured charger from Charger Guy in 2014.  Still going strong today!  And yes, it's a very easy installation.  Make sure you install the drip cover.

Once you've replaced the charger, check/test your batteries. The charger that came with my Chap was cooking my batteries. Yep they were getting 19+ volts and that killed them. 

Here's the tester that I use and it's great for keeping an eye on all your automotive batteries too. https://www.amazon.com/BA9-40-1200-Digital-Battery-System/dp/B00IZFNJ6Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491584062&sr=8-2&keywords=solar+ba7

I had the same charger and it died during layup this winter. It is not serviceable or repairable. Promariner did offer a discount to replace it but I went a different direction.

there is a small fuse inside that you should check first. Under the cover where the wires are terminated.

So I bought a Promariner Pronautic 1220. I am having the marina install it for me, as they are currently doing the impeller and new flappers for the exhaust. I figured if your going to blow the bank, might as well do it all at the beginning of the season. : (   Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. Very much appreciated!