Uffrank

WTB- 2008-2014 22 - 25 ft Sunesta, SSi, or SSx

25 posts in this topic

I am in Tampa, FL and I have been looking for a boat for over a year.  My wife and I have decided to take the plunge.  We love the Chaparrals and are looking for something that fits 8 people comfortably preferably with a head (We have a 6 and 8 year old).  I love the Sunesta, SSi and SSx models.  We are looking for something in the 22-25 foot range with a tandem trailer, reasonable hours, preferably mostly fresh water, taken care of and serviced regularly, preferably in blue but open to any color.  

Does anyone know of one for sale in the Southeast US?  

We have looked at Sea Rays, Four Winns, Monterey's, Hurricanes, but I keep coming back to the Chaparrals.  They are just beautiful.

My ideal boat is a 2010 Chaparral 244 Sunesta in Blue with 300hp and the duo prop outdrive, low hours from a freshwater lake with a tandem trailer for a reasonable price.  Ha.  If only.

Should be some pretty good pickins in FL area. Drove down to Ft. Meyers to buy my 2550 SX and brought her to NY. FL was full of great deals on some Chaps when I bought mine.

Don't be afraid to expand your travel radius to find what you want. Check boattrader.com and craigslist and even ebay. Keep looking you`ll find one.

Thanks.  I found one today outside Houston I have started negotiations on.  I think I will buy it sight unseen, but after a marine survey.  Wish me luck.

That's how I ended up with mine, bought it sight unseen but had it surveyed. Fortunately it worked well.

The seller mentioned that the Speedo and Fuel gauges are not working on the boat I am interested in.  Also it is a 2008 and manifolds and risers are original to the vessel.  The seller says it has been used mostly in freshwater and the annual maintenance was performed recently, but shouldn't they be replaced by now?  Should I set aside maybe 3k for repairs and other stuff just in case?  

Does anyone know if a good marine surveyor in Webster, TX (South Houston), and a Chaparral mechanic in the Tampa Bay area?  Thanks

If it's a 2008 Merc 8.1 the risers are stainless. The speedo is a simple air pressure gauge actuated by a pilot hole drilled into the front edge of the lower unit. As water impacts the front of the drive, it imparts pressure into the hose leading up to the helm station and the trapped air increases in pressure indicating speed. Not extremely accurate. The fuel sender is electronic and it can be either the tank unit or dash unit that has failed, and as long as you can see the top of the gas tank, testing and repair is pretty straight forward.   W

Eight adults in a 22 footer is tight, and the boat will be a pig. 

brick

If it's been used in fresh water I would not expect the risers to need replaced. How many hours?

I have a 244.  While 8 people is doable, I think that that's a bit tight on a 24 footer. 

That's two in the bow, one at the helm, one in the other captain's chair and three in the back.

There's a 224 at our marina.  It's not really a 22' boat; two feet of it is swim platform.  It's a small boat with a small cockpit area.

10 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

I have a 244.  While 8 people is doable, I think that that's a bit tight on a 24 footer. 

That's two in the bow, one at the helm, one in the other captain's chair and three in the back.

3 hours ago, Pops said:

LOL.... ^^^^^ That adds up to 7. Just sayin'.

LMAO.  Now you know why I never have eight in mine.  I can't even count that high!!!

just an FYI I would have a qualified Marine Mechanic look at it also if your survey company doesn't offer a mechanical inspection also. the are different. I looked for over 6 months for a fresh water 256 ssx and had one all ready to go. Had a survey and it passed had a mechanical inspection and found a bad gimble bearing among  an array of other things that would have resulted in about 3000-4000 in added repairs to my purchase.   Just trying to help

I decided to pass on the 224 in Texas, but I have found a better option for me in NJ.  Its a 08 244 Sunesta with the 350 Mag and Bravo III.  It has low hours for a 08 (170).  The seller and I worked out a price, and I have ordered the marine survey.  Just can't wait to hear what the surveyor has to say.  The seller did say the manifolds and risers are original (Fresh water only seller said) to the vessel.  I have looked at new Sunesta, SSi, and the Suncoast lines, but I love the swim platform and head of the Sunesta the best.

I will need a Merc mechanic in Tampa if anyone knows of one that is reliable and affordable.  I think 4 adults and 4 kids will fit just fine in the 244, the 224 seemed too tight to comfortably get around.

Also this is my first purchase, can one of you recommend a boat insurance company and what I should carry on the boat at all times, tools, etc. (excluding the CG required stuff).   

As far as insurance is concerned, I've always used BoatUS for the boat and towing insurance. Lots of stuff geared specifically to boaters. There are others cheaper, but I stick with them for obvious reasons.

As far as USCG stuff, look toward the USCG AUX inspection program. They will inspect and advise accordingly and they are not legally bindining, just a courtesy thing. The USCGAUX is a great resource for info and help. PS: The USCG spot inspection teams also respect the inspection sticker issued by the AUX, if and when you pass the program. They will probably not make your boat 1st choice for an official "stop and inspect", since you went the extra mile for the AUX inspection and passed all the std local and fed safety requirements for the sticker to be issued. Also, take a look at the Florida boating rules on the web and the USCG / USCGAUX web sites for hours of reading pleasure on what is needed and / or required.

I would suggest taking the USCGAUX boating safety course (or the US Power Squadron course). It is accepted by all states as a "Gold Standard" of safety courses and will answer 95% of your questions concerning boating in nearly any circumstance. (plus it's a GREAT organization to join and be a member of)

Equipment to be carried has been discussed numerous times in the forum and a quick search will bring out a ton of suggestions. Your load will depend hugely on what you want to deal with and storage capacity you have. Some of us carry many tools and spare parts for emergency repairs while on the water (or help others when stranded), while others carry minimal tools / parts and prefer to be towed to a repair facility. The major concern is spare electrical / lighting components, such as bulbs and fuses, and things needed to keep the water out side of the boat in a leak event.

Hope this helps

19 hours ago, Uffrank said:

I decided to pass on the 224 in Texas, but I have found a better option for me in NJ.  Its a 08 244 Sunesta with the 350 Mag and Bravo III.  It has low hours for a 08 (170).  The seller and I worked out a price, and I have ordered the marine survey.  Just can't wait to hear what the surveyor has to say.  The seller did say the manifolds and risers are original (Fresh water only seller said) to the vessel.  I have looked at new Sunesta, SSi, and the Suncoast lines, but I love the swim platform and head of the Sunesta the best.

I will need a Merc mechanic in Tampa if anyone knows of one that is reliable and affordable.  I think 4 adults and 4 kids will fit just fine in the 244, the 224 seemed too tight to comfortably get around.

Also this is my first purchase, can one of you recommend a boat insurance company and what I should carry on the boat at all times, tools, etc. (excluding the CG required stuff).   

Given the year of the boat, make sure you get the NJ boat carefully surveyed.  Large numbers of boats sustained some level of damage in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy went through the NY/NJ area.  

I would even ask the seller directly where the boat was stored when Sandy came through, if it was in NJ in 2012.

On July 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM, OCMD2 said:

LMAO.  Now you know why I never have eight in mine.  I can't even count that high!!!

That's a MD education, I love mine!

The seller tells me the boat was in the lake Michigan area until 2013 when he purchased it.  But he does say it's been used in fresh water only its entire life.

Thanks