jdsdls05

Towing Etiquette

Ok so I was talking to my buddy the other night and towing came up.  I said yeah I would tow you but if it’s over a ½ hour pull and you have a larger boat no way.  That’s why I have Towing coverage. 

He looked at me like I was crazy for not wanting to tow his boat.   I said Why should I but my boat thru a large workout and risk damage,  it cost about 150 for a policy to cover your butt for a year I told him.   I said I would hang out and not leave until the tow boat arrived, but I would not tow you.

Am I Wrong?  of course if life or present danger is near I would help

6 minutes ago, jdsdls05 said:

I said I would hang out and not leave until the tow boat arrived, but I would not tow you.

Sounds reasonable, or until the beer runs out.

If it's just a quick tow back to the marina no problem but if I'm 60 miles up lake I'll make a call on my VHF and stand by to insure the dead boat is safe until the tow arrives. I've done this on numerous occasions and the tow boats are real slow so time to fix lunch. 

Where I boat there are no tow boats so we are at each other's mercy.   If tow boats were in my area I wouldn't offer a tow and wouldn't ask for a tow.  I think stanning by while waiting on the tow boat is a great thing to do.  I'd sign up for a tow plan as you suggest.  

As a boater I want to be as self sufficient as possible. I pay a yearly Seatow membership even though the boat is brand new. 

I agree with you 100%.

Our boats & engines are not built with towing in mind. Add the load of people in the towed and towing boat ?? Good way to load / lug down the engine. If oil pressure & temperature stay in limits ?    NAAHH   To dam risky if wind comes up or the docking is a stupid.  "  You have to get me to & in my dock space. " 

You are helping a drug delivery or illegal alien  delivery.  As police watch from a drone up high.

Call 911 & have them get a tow big enough.

I guess I'm the exception, every year I tow at least three boats in.  I did two over July 4th weekend alone.  I don't tow fast and there is no wear or risk.  Maybe my way of thinking is a Southern thing?

I have made a few tows, but I tell the unfortunate party its to the nerest port. His option to take it or leave it.

The USCG just floats nearby to pick up people if needed. Then fill out mandatory paper work .   They are also usually last to arrive at a call site.

When you tow in my shipping channel & constant big yacht choppy waters ? You really are risking injuring the people in the boat being towed. Due to being tossed to the deck

I towed only one last season, and fixed the rest. This year been lucky so far.   W

I don't think there is no risk to damage if you just put it in gear and tow slow.  Keep an eye on temp and ycu should be fine.  I've towed a half dozen or so boats back and offered gas money.  I told them to keep it for the repair.  I'm hoping one day some fellow boater will help me out as well if I need assistance.   

No tow service on my lake as well except the sheriff.  

My record is 3 tows in the same day, needless to say, we did not have much fun that day.  Years ago, I was off mid week, and decided to go for a boat ride alone.  I launched and headed out.  I noticed an older Glastron motoring around on my way out to the main river.  Several hours later, I came back toward the ramp and noticed the same boat over in the shallow floating up to the mud flats.  He waved me down, I eased over as close as I could without getting in too shallow.  He wanted a tow back to the ramp, I told him he would have to figure out how to get his boat in at least 3 feet of water.  He made it out to me and come to find out, he was a young military man who just bought the boat and was on his maiden voyage.  Unfortunately, he brought his wife and new born baby, they had no water or shade of any kind, and I would guess, probably did not have all the safety equipment on board, including an infant life jacket.   I gave them some water for the ride back to the ramp, when we arrived at the ramp, I did give him some friendly advice.  

My last tow was about 2 months ago.  We were out on the lake wake boarding and noticed a disabled jetski waving us down.  They just needed a short tow back to a campground. On the way to the campground, the guy more or less invites himself to go wake boarding with us.  I don't think I would have the nerve to ask a stranger to give me a tow and once you have finished that, I want you to pull me wake boarding.  :slap:

Like others have said, one day it my be me needing a hand. I do not see much risk if you use common sense and take your time.   I have tow insurance, but luckily I have never needed to use it.  

I grew up with a family boat that was a real piece of s***.  25% of the time we got pulled back to the dock.  - but credit to my family they still tried to get me out on the lake!

If I see you out there, wave me down - I will give you a tow. 

I have towed several times. I just go really slow and take it easy. 

I figure I would want someone to help me if I was in need. 

3 hours ago, TimBrown said:

I have towed several times. I just go really slow and take it easy. 

I figure I would want someone to help me if I was in need. 

+1.  Slow and easy.  Pay it forward :)

My area rarely has break downs. Plenty of good mechanics at marinas ?  Plenty of owners with money or ability ?

On 7/31/2016 at 5:51 AM, Wingnut said:

I towed only one last season, and fixed the rest. This year been lucky so far.   W

I'm sorry, but Wingnut just ended this thread and dropped the mic!  We are not worthy.  We all talk about towing and Wingnut says "nah, I just fix it!".  Love it!!!!

Just towed in a 2017 120k ski boat yesterday evening that was out of gas.  I won't hook a boat up to my boat so had my wife and son hold the rope.  It was a beautiful, heavy boat.  The previous boat I towed was a family with several aboard with tiny babies who admitted they knew their boat was having issues but went out anyway.  That one annoyed me.  

I see several very different situations with towing and or towing coverage

Situation #1) You're on very large bodies of water. Oceans, Great Lakes, etc. You can be a long way away. Water conditions can be very variable. If you don't know what you're doing towing can be dangerous. Just about all tow service plans cover these areas. 
Situation #2) You're on a large lake or river. There are marinas around. Tow service plan coverage is iffy, but, there are plenty of marinas that will tow for a charge. 
Situation #3) You're on a small lake. There are no marinas on the lake. There is no tow service of any type, covered by a plan or non-covered.

I'll go in reverse order:

#3 I'd help tow the person to the landing (or their dock if they live on the lake) without any hesitation, regardless of the boat size

#2 I'd help tow them without any hesitation for a short distance, a longer distance would give me pause, especially if their boat was larger than mine.

#1 If their boat was significantly smaller than mine I'd do a short/medium distance without hesitation. If it was close in size and a short distance, I'd take weather in mind. If it was larger than mine, I'd keep them company while waiting for a proper tow boat... Maybe make a beer run? :)

Our lake has no tow service so we all depend on each other. If asked, I would probably attempt to help, but not at the cost of doing damage to my boat or passengers. Might say no to a large cruiser though, would try to find him someone his own size to help out.

If you don't take care of your boat, you better have some good faith in the guy up there....that said, sometimes things happen, I will tow, but it will be slow! :)