Sign in to follow this  
98Sig29

Acceleration Issue

Hello All, 

I have a single 7.4 V8 Mercruiser on my Signature 29.  The last few trips out, with 6 people on the boat, I can't seem to reach plane.  Full throttle position gets me to 3800 RPMs and about 14 knots. If I move all bodies to the front of the boat I can eventually reach plane but I don't think a boat this size should have this much trouble with a relatively light load.  If I'm by myself or with one person seems to plane quicker and will accelerate to 27-28 knots. 

Has anyone had a similar issue? 

Thanks, 

Ben

2 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

How are the props looking?

A couple of small dings but not enough I would think that to be the problem.  When I pull it out at the end of the season I'll get a better look. 

4 minutes ago, 98Sig29 said:

A couple of small dings but not enough I would think that to be the problem.  When I pull it out at the end of the season I'll get a better look. 

On the out drive lower gear case where the prop collar enters the out drive, is there corrosion in that area where exhaust gasses can sneak out and ventilate the prop? I've needed to do epoxy repairs on a few drives that were slip stored, and not properly painted and the boat just refused to get on plane, even though the bottom was clean. Could always be an engine issue but it is hard to know without doing some testing and learning some of your ride's maintenance history.  W

13 hours ago, Wingnut said:

On the out drive lower gear case where the prop collar enters the out drive, is there corrosion in that area where exhaust gasses can sneak out and ventilate the prop? I've needed to do epoxy repairs on a few drives that were slip stored, and not properly painted and the boat just refused to get on plane, even though the bottom was clean. Could always be an engine issue but it is hard to know without doing some testing and learning some of your ride's maintenance history.  W

it is probably a combination of factors(props/tune-up/plugs/ect...). Put it in the wqter immediately after purxhase. After the season i'll get it to a mechanic for a full check-up! Thx Wingnut!