Strange Battery issue....

My 2005 Sig 310 is experiencing a strange battery issue. I had 3 new batteries replaced this spring, also the battery charger was replaced as well.

If I leave the boat sitting for a week or so ( this past weekend was the first weekend on it for a few weeks) the house battery drains down dead.

Not sure if its a battery problem ( all the connections were checked), charger issue ( new ProMariner ProNautic 1240P) ??

I can't see any other areas that might be a fault point... any one run into this before?

I appreciate any expertise !!

It can't be a battery problem, knowing you've gone through three now with same issue.

Get a vom tester and disconnect the positive terminal and test the amperage "draw" from the battery.

You must have something drawing way too much amperage, consistently dropping the battery charge. Once that happens, lead sulfate builds up in the cells and will eventually kill that battery, which sounds like is currently happening.

If you have a shore power set up and it's still drawing too much, you're battery charger is too small or bad.

Many inexpensive vom's can easily measure up to 10 amps to determine that draw. Once connected, shut off breakers until you see a diminished draw to determine which circuit is the culprit and continue to work backwards.

Good luck.

Charge up the house battery again. Stop charging it. Remove   ALL    cables or wires from either the + or - post. So no current can flow.

If the battery is run down again ? Bingo The battery is    DISCHARGING ITSELF.  No other possibility for it to run down. Needs a FREE replacement. Factory reject.

I would do a simple load test. You can buy for short $$ testing meters. I take it that you are not on shore power than? By default, your fridge/s will come off of A.C. and run on D.C. Have you turned them off? Also your CO detectors can pull your batteries down too,

I am connected to shore power when this happens... its a very weird problem. Everything connected to AC runs when on shore... everything connected to DC power is dead when I get on the boat.

It seems something is drawing down the house battery til its basically dead, but the charger is not doing its job, charging anything on DC??!! Not sure why the issue happens if its connected to shore .. 

Even if something is drawing power form the house battery, would the charger, charge the house battery constantly while connected to 120AC?

Thanks for helping with ideas to solve this!

I had this issue when I upgraded my '04, SIG 350 to the ProNautic 1240P charger.  The new charger can actually deliver 40amps of charge to a single bank if needed.  So, in my case I had a situation where the house bank "called" for more than 30 amps of charge, but the existing/stock breaker for the old charger was only a 30 amp breaker. So, the breaker would trip in the case of the house bank needing more charge.  It took me a little while to realize this happened and that the house wasn't charging.  I ended up having to replace all 3 battery charger breakers, upgrading them to 40 amp breakers.  I did have this done by a ABYC certified marine electrician....I'm not comfortable with my own skills and knowledge to chance that upgrade & needed proper gauge wire for the length of the run, breaker size, etc..  Plus, we had to abandon the old breakers and actually mount the 3 new ones behind the battery switch panel.  Anyway, bottom line...I'd suggest the easy check of the breaker and go from there.

Flip the breaker on your frige and see if the battery still goes dead.  If the battery is still good, you frige is not switching to AC power when plugged in.  Therefore the voltage sensor on the frige is bad.  

I don't think a battery charger could keep a battery charged up when a frige is drawing all that power.  The battery charger may overheat and won't kick back on for an hour or two before charging again.  Over a week period, the battery would be dead.

The battery charger may have a internal fuse as well.  I had a problem with my charger where it would look like it was on from all the red and green lights, but would not charge.  Looked and saw a 15 amp automotive fuse, took it out, cleaned up the terminals and it started working again.  

Do you not have a converter to charge your 12v batteries when plugged into shore power? If so, there are usually two fuses underneath that can blow.

If on shore power, you're refrig and 120v items are operating probably fine. Any 12v draw will ONLY be off of the batteries if the converter isn't operating properly. I know you said battery charger but if it's a converter, it must convert 120v to 12v to keep the batteries charged.

All of your 12v systems can draw current pretty fast. Again, while plugged into shore power if converter is working properly, expect to see voltage at your battery of approx 14.4, 13.8, or 13.4 depending on the charged condition of your batteries. Converters usually work at a minimum of 3 different charge levels, depending on demand.

Let us know.