Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tobias

Stern drive water pump

7 posts in this topic

First time owner of a stern drive here - been reading how it needs to be replaced annually. I'm having trouble figuring out a source for a pump kit. Where does everyone go to get theirs? Unfortunately I live in the middle of no-where ( Hockley Valley - east of Orangeville). Barrie used to have a West Marine but they closed up shop last year.

Check this store and online site out of Kingston ON ... http://www.marineoutfitters.ca ... good for general marine supplies. I have visited the place and ordered online while in Canada ... a reliable vendor. Give them some time to get the goods and ship them to you as they do not have a large warehouse.

For OEM specific parts find the closest marine/parts store attached to your local marina or boat dealership authorized to sell and service a particular brand. If you find any good sources of OEM parts online in Canada, post the info here.

Every year would be excessive for a water pump impeller, IMO  Knowing what stern drive / engine you have and year will help us answer questions.

I always go 5 on an Alpha, and seems like 4 is the magic number on the Bravo, but as the Volvos run at crankshaft speed and are easy to get to, I do them every 2.  The Alphas prime so quickly being buried midpoint in the drive that they just seem to live longer. Being surrounded in cool water does not hurt either.   W

On 07/08/2016 at 5:00 PM, mpm330 said:

Every year would be excessive for a water pump impeller, IMO  Knowing what stern drive / engine you have and year will help us answer questions.

Merc 170 and alpha one drive circa 1986 me thinks. I would just take a peek at the impeller except it would ruin the gaskets. Maybe a careful run-up in the water would be sufficient, watching the temps. There isn't much of a season left here.

If the boat is new to you and you do not know the maintenance history I would service the water pump. Then you would be good for 4  or 5 years. I had an Alpha on previous boat and the water pump would go for a very long time.

The parts you can order off the internet. It is not hard to replace on the Alpha, but will take a second person.