Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ronbill

Any Chap owners in Western Canada?

19 posts in this topic

OK, I'm located in landlocked Alberta but I spent the week boating in Kalamalka Lake out of Kekuli Bay Provincial Park, BC. I did see a number of Chaparral boats on the water. Now I'm wondering why the Western Canada forum never has any new posts. Hope some of you other members from the Western provinces post in this forum.

I just became one. I have a 1995 193SS in great shape. Was concerned the 4.3 might not be enough power but all I'm doing is cruising. I live in Airdrie Alberta but all my boating is done in the Shuswap...

Hi everyone,

I am from Edmonton, Alberta and boat out at PineLake, Alberta (Near Red Deer).
I own a 2010 Chapparal 186 SSi WideTech with the 4.3L Volvo Penta motor.

Dave

On 10/9/2016 at 10:40 AM, EdmontonGuy65 said:

Hi everyone,

I am from Edmonton, Alberta and boat out at PineLake, Alberta (Near Red Deer).
I own a 2010 Chapparal 186 SSi WideTech with the 4.3L Volvo Penta motor.

Dave

Dave, what prop are you using on your boat? Do you have the 4.3L Gxi or carb engine?

Hi...

I have the 4.3L carburated engine. The previous owner put a 4-blade S/S prop (19 pitch, I believe). I had a small incident with some dirt and pebbles back in September, so now the S/S prop has some rough edges! No thanks to very some shallow water levels around the dock. I also have the stock prop, as a back-up.

My winter project includes ordering and installing some wake tower speakers. 

Hi Guys,

2000 signature 240 with Volvo duo prop and Chevy/Volvo 350 (5.7) We boat on lake Cowichan on Vancouver Island during the peak summer season and all around Vancouver Island in the shoulder season. Try and boat year round. Would love to trailer to Okanagan Lake one of these summers.

On 11/7/2016 at 7:36 PM, EdmontonGuy65 said:

Hi...

I have the 4.3L carburated engine. The previous owner put a 4-blade S/S prop (19 pitch, I believe). I had a small incident with some dirt and pebbles back in September, so now the S/S prop has some rough edges! No thanks to very some shallow water levels around the dock. I also have the stock prop, as a back-up.

My winter project includes ordering and installing some wake tower speakers. 

Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been thinking about the boating much lately. Are you happy with the hole-shot using the 4-blade S/S prop? I have the 4.3L GXi Volvo that came with the 3-blade 19 pitch Volvo prop. Good speed prop but crappy for towing.

What tower are you planning on installing? Let me know how the tower install goes.

On 12/22/2016 at 5:24 PM, Malcolm said:

Hi Guys,

2000 signature 240 with Volvo duo prop and Chevy/Volvo 350 (5.7) We boat on lake Cowichan on Vancouver Island during the peak summer season and all around Vancouver Island in the shoulder season. Try and boat year round. Would love to trailer to Okanagan Lake one of these summers.

Greetings Malcolm,

I wish I could boat all season. However, if I was on the island my current boat would have to be upgraded to something for salmon and halibut fishing with room to spend a few nights.

Lots of larger boats like yours on Lake Okanagan. That's a large and often rough body of water. Beautiful area the interior is. We are heading back to Vernon/Kelowna this summer for a week of boating - probably stick to Kalamalka Lake again with our size of boat.

From Holland, Manitoba.  SW of Winnipeg about 90 minutes.  We have a 2013 H2O with a 4.3

16 hours ago, bud29 said:

From Holland, Manitoba.  SW of Winnipeg about 90 minutes.  We have a 2013 H2O with a 4.3

Bud29, where do you mostly boat?

Few small lakes around here:  Rock Lake, Pelican Lake, Clear Lake, Lake Metigoshe.

On 1/18/2017 at 10:37 PM, Ronbill said:

Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been thinking about the boating much lately. Are you happy with the hole-shot using the 4-blade S/S prop? I have the 4.3L GXi Volvo that came with the 3-blade 19 pitch Volvo prop. Good speed prop but crappy for towing.

What tower are you planning on installing? Let me know how the tower install goes.

I am pretty happy with the S/S 4 blade prop. Trouble is I don't have anything to compare it against. Tows pretty good. I do more towing (tubes) versus speeding around the lake. LOL.
I have a tower already...I just want to add some tower speakers. Have my eye on a set of Aluminium cans with RockFord Fosgate 2-way speakers, and an amp to power them plus the two oem speakers, the ones that sit by my feet. I also went and purchased a Bazooka Tube (8") that I plan on mounting in the cooler compartment or the engine bay. It has its own amplifier, so no need to run a bunch of wires to the sub.

I have a 2010 186SSi with the 4.3 volvo penta , it has the 4 blade prop 19 pitch , I weight 250lbs and the wife can pull me up on a wake board no problem , tows great and I was impressed for a V6 .

Heard the 4 barrel carb upgrade works on these motors although not sure if I'll get around to doing one 

Curious if anyone has added ballast bags to one of these and if it's worth it ?

On 2/16/2017 at 0:05 AM, Chuch78 said:

I have a 2010 186SSi with the 4.3 volvo penta , it has the 4 blade prop 19 pitch , I weight 250lbs and the wife can pull me up on a wake board no problem , tows great and I was impressed for a V6 .

Heard the 4 barrel carb upgrade works on these motors although not sure if I'll get around to doing one 

Curious if anyone has added ballast bags to one of these and if it's worth it ?

I suspect adding ballast will really bog down the 4.3L engine. Perhaps others know more about this than I do.

Hello,

I'm in Cold Lake, Alberta. Own a 2014 19 H20 ski & fish. We are a little spoiled for lakes in this area with clear deep lakes. Usually make a summer trip down to the Okanagan with the boat too.

On 4/30/2017 at 4:39 AM, eaubin said:

Hello,

I'm in Cold Lake, Alberta. Own a 2014 19 H20 ski & fish. We are a little spoiled for lakes in this area with clear deep lakes. Usually make a summer trip down to the Okanagan with the boat too.

Ya you are spoiled in that part of Alberta - a good concentration of deep lakes and clearer water compared to the rest of the Province. However, everything is relative and our lakes do not compare to the deep clear lakes of B.C. I too will be traveling to the Okanagan for at least a week this summer - Kalamalka Lake is my destination this time.