BoatingSam

Single Vs. Twin

Single or Twin Engine?   29 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer...single or twin engine?

• Single
    • Twin
    • I prefer paddling ;)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, BoatingSam said:

State your reason if you wish!

Twins, less noise, and lower rpms.  

I would choose both even though I'm new and have a single.  Less maintenance on the single, turn on a dime with the twin

Do you prefer apples or oranges?

Depending if the manufacturer offers the option, I would prefer twins if someone else is paying for the initial cost and future maintenance.

You guys are so yesterday.  Innovation has left you behind.  Triples are the way to go now.   Seven Marine 557 hp per engine.  Each engine is 70,000 clams. 

04BEDC28-2066-406F-A833-BFEDC7CAC446_zps

3 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

Double twins.....is better

quad-557s-video-preview.png

But are quad 557's enough?  Probably not.  Better go for the quad 627's!!!

quads_zpsfkwsoln8.jpg

I have a 290 with 450 total H.P. When you get into bigger boats, twins are a must. Other wise your looking at a very complicated single engine that needs to put out that kind of power. I would think it would have to be supercharged.

But hear is a thought and I don't know enough about it. Why do outdrives only have two gears? Forward and reverse. Maybe the load is too great to have a forward Hi and Low. 

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

I have a 290 with 450 total H.P. When you get into bigger boats, twins are a must. Other wise your looking at a very complicated single engine that needs to put out that kind of power. I would think it would have to be supercharged.

But hear is a thought and I don't know enough about it. Why do outdrives only have two gears? Forward and reverse. Maybe the load is too great to have a forward Hi and Low. 

My 256 has a single 425 HP engine, and I'm not carrying the weight of two engines, drives, and extra fuel to feed the second engine. It's all a trade-off and a second engine certainly helps with maneuverability, and limping home on a really bad day if one engine fails.

23 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

My 256 has a single 425 HP engine, and I'm not carrying the weight of two engines, drives, and extra fuel to feed the second engine. It's all a trade-off and a second engine certainly helps with maneuverability, and limping home on a really bad day if one engine fails.

Understood, but you have a 25 footer were I have a 29 footer with a 9.5' beam. Plus, I would think that 2 drives could push more water than one drive with the same H.P.

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

Understood, but you have a 25 footer were I have a 29 footer with a 9.5' beam. Plus, I would think that 2 drives could push more water than one drive with the same H.P.

Agreed. I just did not understand the comment about complexity of a single high high output engine as compared to twins.

Twins twice the maintenance, but two times the fun.

13 hours ago, Iggy said:

It has been tried before and for many reasons: cost, drag of bigger lower unit, propellor pitch, operator error, shorter stroke of outboard engines, more horsepower needed to turn taller gears, manufacturing problems and finally little consumer interest have killed it.  The prop pitch is a big problem because of an increase of cavitation in lower pitched props when pushed over a certain RPM.  BUT biggest reason is do you want to be on the water with ever jacka$$ capable of going over 70 mph?

Land and Sea Torque Shift Prop, now defunct I believe.  Never knew anyone that ran one, but seemed like a reasonable idea to me.  When I first got into boating, I thought about getting one.