Sign in to follow this  
wijeff

5.0 wouldn't start

Volvo penta 5.0 gxi turned over no start ,ran fine 2 weeks ago . I  have fuel , no spark , replaced cap rotor, wires,plugs, nothing  so I am stumped going to probably have to take it in   any ideas. 

im sure you did it.  But start at square one the battery and follow every wire from that to a connection inspect for cleaniliness and tightness, and then from that connection to the next and so on.  Should be battery, starter, alternator.  This is it tons of times. Check all plug connections.  check the grounding on your engine.

Other than that starter solenoid if it has one, is the  emergency lanyard(kill switch) still hooked up properly,  make sure the neutral safety switch isn't stopped up.

You sure its spark and not fuel?

Is the kill switch turned on?  

Is the shifter in neutral?

If it cranks and does not fire the kill switch is a real possibility but will the engine even turn over if it's in gear?

No, won't turn over if it's in gear. Won't fire but will crank with safety switch tripped, though. I would check that first for sure.....

You didn't mention if you replaced the coil.

Take one spark plug out and leave the wire on. Than ground the threaded side and turn the engine over. Is there a spark??  

The oil pressure switch needs to be closed by enough oil pressure ?  Not sure if Volvo uses that interlock.

13 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

The oil pressure switch needs to be closed by enough oil pressure ?  Not sure if Volvo uses that interlock.

On injected engines, the oil pressure input to the ECM does not shut off the ignition spark, it simply does not fire the injectors until the threshold value for oil pressure is achieved during cranking. This prevents raw fuel from building up in the cylinders while the engine is still looking for oil pressure.  W

Well I have no idea feels like I just got kicked in the nuts 220.00  parts 680.00 in shop time and diagnosis it was really Map sensor it runs as it did before good  to go with sore nuts lol 

Then it wasn't spark after all? Vacuum leak instead. Just goes to show you how important that diagnosing is to get it right.

Glad you've got it fix...even if it hurts just a bit!