I want to replace my current aluminum factory Mercury propeller with a stainless propeller.  I am not looking to upgrade or change performance because I am happy with the current time to plane.  If anything I would select more top speed over hole shot.

Here is my boat's configuration:

2004 Chaparral 215 SSi

Mercury 5.0L with Alpha 1 Gen 2 (320 hours)

1.62 Gear Ratio

y3my19wvyoNwVfEN6iK5vdbeAxIIau6xD20dKaln

Current Prop: 14.25 x 21P

y3mZrOhnDfCzP31rNls5N6np1rEYv3iHYNzz9RnP

Can anyone please recommend a suitable replacement Stainless Steel Propeller?  I tried to use Mercury's Prop Selector site, but it recommends Diameters and Pitches that I don't believe are relative to me keeping my current overall performance.

Here's what the Mercury site recommends based on my boat's configuration:

Propeller     Material     Blades     Diameter     Pitch     Rotation     Part #
Enertia®     X7 Alloy     3     14.2     18     RH     898996A46 (NOT USED)
Enertia®     X7 Alloy     3     14     19     RH     898998A46
Revolution 4®     Stainless Steel     4     14.625     17     RH     857024A46
Vengeance®     Stainless Steel     3     14.5     17     RH     16314A46
Vensura®     Stainless Steel     4     14.5     17     RH     825898A48

All of these propellers have lower Pitch numbers which if I understand Pitch correctly will give me better hole shot performance, but my top speed suffers.

Thank you for your time.

Jake

The key to this is what RPM you see @ WOT. Prop for the high end of the recommended range for your specific power package. Typically,  I like a 14.25 inch (nominal) by 19 inch pitch 3 blade for your size boat and drive. Your speed will likely stay the same, as you will see higher RPM, which offsets the reduction in pitch. 

brick

Slapshot,
I recently went through a similar situation. I reached out via email to Gary and Chris Ives at the Prop Shop. Told them what I wanted which in my case was a better hole shot w/o sacrificing too much top end. They nailed it for me, first try. Much improved hole shot and I scarified 0 top end speed. Very friendly and informative guys and if need be, they will accept returns to help you get it right!

As Brick said, get a good accurate WOT RPM readings and speed.  Then you can tell them what you are looking for..... BTW, their pricing was more than competitive!

http://www.propshopinc.com/

Randy

Okay here is WOT:

y3mb-ox4ajtmaBhoj5wIKvte6s95QBOcENEX0mJP

Please remember I am still new to boating so I may not have had it trimmed correctly for optimum RPM or speed.  I have seen my RPMs higher than this picture, but I thought I may have been doing something wrong when I did.  My speedo is off a bit because the GPS said my speed was 45mph during this pic.  I had 2 other passengers with me and some gear.

Thanks.

Jake

Based on a trim gauge in the photo, looks like your drive is more than half way up while you are planing at WOT. Way too high, or too much trimmed out. Have you notice stern digging into the hole and bow pointing high?

In normal conditions with the load/passengers distributed evenly, when planing at cruising speed of around 30 mph or higher, drive should be in nearly neutral trim (+/- 0 degree that translates to somewhere near 1/8 but no more than 1/4 on the trim gauge). The boat should be almost leveled riding its own wake.

22 minutes ago, Richard W said:

Based on a trim gauge in the photo, looks like your drive is more than half way up while you are planing at WOT. Way too high. Have you notice stern digging into the hole and bow pointing high?

In normal conditions when planing at cruising speed of around 30 mph or higher, drive should be in nearly neutral trim (+/- 0 degree that translates to somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 on the trim gauge). The boat should be almost leveled riding its own wake.

I disagree. When I had an alpha drive, halfway was about my normal position for cruising. Now with my current B3, it likes very little positive trim, no more than 1/4 up.

From what I see, OP would benefit from dropping 2 inches in pitch to a 3blade 14.25 X 19 pitch or 4blade 18 pitch. You will get the RPM's up, improve hole-shot, lower minimum planing speed, and the boat will handle better. 

brick

9 hours ago, Richard W said:

Based on a trim gauge in the photo, looks like your drive is more than half way up while you are planing at WOT. Way too high, or too much trimmed out. Have you notice stern digging into the hole and bow pointing high?

In normal conditions with the load/passengers distributed evenly, when planing at cruising speed of around 30 mph or higher, drive should be in nearly neutral trim (+/- 0 degree that translates to somewhere near 1/8 but no more than 1/4 on the trim gauge). The boat should be almost leveled riding its own wake.

Rich,

My trim Guage is a little off. When I purchased the boat a few weeks ago my brother noticed it wasn't accurate. My brother has owned several boats including a 235 Crownline.

The guage is displaying a few degrees higher than what it actually is. I'm not sure what it would take to fix the Guage because I am new to boating and my local marina is busy putting boats in storage this month. They won't look and it until the end of September.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Jake

1 hour ago, Slapshot said:

My trim Guage is a little off. When I purchased the boat a few weeks ago my brother noticed it wasn't accurate.

The guage is displaying a few degrees higher than what it actually is. I'm not sure what it would take to fix the Guage because I am new to boating and my local marina is busy putting boats in storage this month. They won't look and it until the end of September.

This might be an easy fix when boat is out of water. The trim sensor position can be adjusted.

I always adjust with the GPS on and showing current speed. All else is window dressing & sales hype for more sales.

The only basic purpose of more blades is to use excess hp effectively.   More blades? Like a high 5 prop?  They originally made it for people that have to have different looking stuff at any price.   Mercruiser told me the total blade area is less than many of their 4 bladed props.  

Hype & buying the latest gadget  sells like crazy.   The sales people RULE OVER all else in a company. 

Okay,

Since I was able to get what I believe is my WOT results; I went back to mercurymarine.com Prop Selector.  I entered my RPMs and MPH and here are the results the selector recommends:

Propeller     Material     Blades     Diameter     Pitch     Rotation     Part #
Enertia®     X7 Alloy     3     13.8     20     RH     899000A46
Enertia®     X7 Alloy     3     13.6     21     RH     899002A46
Enertia® ECO     X7 Alloy     3     16     19     RH     8M0040400
Laser II     Stainless Steel     3     14     19     RH     16544A46
Revolution 4®     Stainless Steel     4     14.625     19     RH     857026A46
Vengeance®     Stainless Steel     3     14     19     RH     16316A46
Vensura®     Stainless Steel     4     14     19     RH     825900A48

Looks like it's 14" x 19P for me.  Does anyone recommend one of these SS props over the other?

Thanks. Jake

On September 5, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Slapshot said:

Brick,

What is the benefit of the 4 vs 3 blade?

I like your suggestions and I'm probably going to try the 3 blade 14.25 x 19, but you have me intrigued about the 4 blade 18.

Thank you all for the quick responses and great input!

Jake

Extra blades provide more grip, at the expense of top speed. Some boats need the extra bow lift from a 4-blade to minimize porpoiseing. Unless you are doing lots of water sports, I would pick a 3 blade. I think you will be very pleased with a 14.25 X 19 SS prop

brick

It looks like I finally got my prop close to correct. It started with a 14.25 x 21 and WOT was around 3400 rpm. I went to a 3 blade 14.25 x 19 and it got better but WOT still stayed at 3800 best I could trim out was 4000 rpm. I went to a 14.25 x 17 3 blade.

We took it out today and ran it with the new prop. We ran WOT at 4800 rpm and could trim it to 5100 rpm the dash speedo showed 38 mph.  It jumps out of the water and planes well at as low as 2800 rpm. 

Looks like we will stick with this prop. Even though it allows the engine to over rev a little I don't have to. I can always pull back the throttle.

By the way. 1993 180 Sport Limited, 3.0L Alpha 1 Gen II.

Joe

2 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Glad you got a prop that performs well. I am ordering the 14 x 19P 3 blade Vengeance. I will post my results once I receive the prop and install it! ;)

Yep, I like this one. Can't wait to bash it on a rock. You know how it goes when you like something. B)

Joe