Sign in to follow this  
Cajun183

i love this boat...

So we're now three months into owning this boat. I don't know if I told y'all this or not, but we almost didn't buy this gem. The day before we were to drive down and pick it up, I got a call saying that there was water in the oil. It's a long story. If you care to read about it there's a dramatic train wreck of a thread here, http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/762310-mechanic-found-water-oil-would-you.html

Water in the oil is never a good thing, but I assessed the circumstances, made my educated decision, and I couldn't be happier. We put her in the water on Friday evening, tied her up to my friends yacht overnight, and spent 11 hours on her on Saturday. She spent Saturday night in the water as well, and we took her out yesterday afternoon. 

This boat has not missed a beat yet (knock on wood.) She starts first time, every time. She NEVER runs over 140°. She hasn't had water in the oil since I bought her (I think it was a fluke incident.) She's quieter than other boats I've been on. She's comfortable, even for 6 or 7 people. And she RUNS like the wind!

After we took her out of the water yesterday, we ran her through the carwash to rinse all the salt off, and I flushed her with a salt treatment for about 7 minutes. 

I have no point to this post, I just wanted to share how much I LOVE THIS BOAT!

6681BD3C-0A0F-4E0D-85D9-3DC4E33BCBCA_zps

EFB9B9D5-1419-402B-AF29-24A99C2E0F54_zps

I must concur.

I just put a coat of wax on her last week and I still can't take my eyes off her.

Funny thing is every time I place her on the trailer to leave I'm already talking with my wife regarding the next time we will be back out.

You're braver than me buying a boat that you find water in the oil in before you paid for it!  Glad it all seems to have worked out for you.

1 hour ago, crvtt771 said:

You're braver than me buying a boat that you find water in the oil in before you paid for it!  Glad it all seems to have worked out for you.

I took a calculated risk. It's not something that I would recommend by any means, but after talking to the mechanic who did the survey, the broker, my father, and my local mechanic, I decided that it was a move I wanted to make.  I'm really glad it worked out as well.  But as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

4 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Hah! I saw that thread on THT, funny that that's you! As for the boat, we all love ours! :D

That was a train wreck of a thread that I thought would NEVER end!! I'm glad this is one instance where I ignored the advice of the internet. 

2 hours ago, EricGT said:

Funny thing is every time I place her on the trailer to leave I'm already talking with my wife regarding the next time we will be back out.

We do the same thing. It's gonna be #$^% come winter if we can't boat. I'm thinking about taking it to the canvas shop to have the full enclosure made. 

I'm glad you love your boat! It's a great feeling. I hope she gives you many years of fun. 

Also, I've got to hand it to you, you have a lot of courage to share that dumpster fire of a thread from the other forum. It was very entertaining reading!

4 hours ago, TimBrown said:

I'm glad you love your boat! It's a great feeling. I hope she gives you many years of fun. 

Also, I got to hand it to you, you have a lot of courage to share that dumpster fire of a thread from the other forum. It was very entertaining reading!

Ain't no shame in this game. LOL! It was rather entertaining for a while, but I was quite glad when it was over!!

It wasn't my first dumpster fire, so I knew how to stop drop and roll. LOL

Glad you are enjoying the boat. We just got home from spending the last three days on ours. We feel the same way.

I got a name for your boat.    ( I'm all in )  what a train ride of a story  good luck enjoy 

14 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Now it's time love the trailer as well.

Yeah, thats coming up this winter or early spring. I need to replace the carpet on the boards, and sand down the rust spots and repaint with rustoleum.

Don't you launch in salt water? I would consider a different trailer.

3 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Don't you launch in salt water? I would consider a different trailer.

I do. But a new aluminum trailer is out of the question for at least another year or two. This one had these rust spots on it when I bought it. Thankfully it's all just surface rust. 

Yeah, love the aluminums. I hear you have to worry about steel ones rusting from the inside passages that may have salt trapped in them. Just keep her rinsed. BTW, mine has alot of surface rust too and it has never been in salt.

Rustoleum will do nothing. That trailer needs to be sanded down, axle/springs removed, welded in disintegrated areas, and then galvanized dipped. Or you could dry stack. Or you could buy a new trailer. Also need to check/repack wheel bearings, springs, and tires.

On 9/6/2016 at 3:32 PM, drewm3i said:

Rustoleum will do nothing. That trailer needs to be sanded down, axle/springs removed, welded in disintegrated areas, and then galvanized dipped. Or you could dry stack. Or you could buy a new trailer. Also need to check/repack wheel bearings, springs, and tires.

HAHA! I'll sell this boat... or buy an aluminum trailer before I do all that!

16 hours ago, tigerdad5352 said:

i have loved mine since 97,,its a 92...but i will say there have been a couple days...if you never feel those days bless you

Yeah. Did you see my "I told you so...:" thread? I've had those days.

The reason you love it so much is because in the early 2000's Chap was way ahead of their time with their small riders as compared to other competing manufacturers.  

They used quality everything where as you only got that level of quality on competing brands when you went to their bigger bowriders.  Those guys sold you a Toyota and hoped you moved up to their Lexus line when you got your two footitis.  Chap gave you a Lexus in all but their SSE models no matter the LOA of the boat.  

The 183 SS which became the 190SSi for model year 2004 is I believe the heaviest 18 foot bowrider made for many years.  The weights isn't bricks, it's quality materials which are heavier.  For instance your port and starboard storage that flank the engine are covered and hinged compartments made of thick plastic.  Nobody gave you covered storage compartments like that.  You are missing the ss horn (may be only on 2003 and later), the bow scuff plate and the pop up cleats on your particular boat which adds even more to the boat yet.  Can't tell if you have the bow filler cushion or the bow door but those were items in particular the bow door that aren't generally even offered on small boats.   I had your boat just a little newer for 8 years and loved every second of it.  It was a compliment machine whenever I was at the ramp in a state were most boats are under 20 feet and people are used to Bayliner and Glastron levels of quality.    

Good points. Plus I don't think you could find another 18er from that era that had a fiberglass liner with snap in carpet.

23 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Good points. Plus I don't think you could find another 18er from that era that had a fiberglass liner with snap in carpet.

Maybe Four Winns might have had the option but I don't recall at the moment but boats such as the Crownline small bowrider had carpet without the ability to get a glass floor option.  The other big one was the 5.0 v8 MPI is almost unheard of in an 18 footer back then.  The 5.0 MPI became available for model year 2004 for this particular model though the 4.3 MPI was of course available for model year 2002 being the first year MPI was available for non big block v8's.  Other than the Helm design on the 2004 and newer models what became rebadged as the 190ssi, almost nothing materialy changed in the 7 year run of that model.  I like the older helm design much more than the newer version.  

In MN, it's like 99.9999999% boats under 20 feet so people don't necessarily go bigger, they just go nicer.  The OP's boat is the top of the heap for it's generation.