Troy04

2015 Boat went out of Control

We bought our Chaparral a year ago and this was about the 5th time on the water.  Pulling into the boat slip, put boat in neutral and prop continued to run and then shifted into reverse and the boat took off forward full throttle and ran up onto the slip! Yanked safety cord off and boat still ran.  Key did not even turn boat off.  Thankfully, no one was hurt just the boat banged up.  Once on the slip, turned on, prop runs in neutral and now doesn't move in reverse and won't even shift into forward gear.  It is a good thing we were not on the lake tubing otherwise the boat could of killed someone.  I am thoroughly disappointed in this Chaparral.  This is my second Chaparral boat and the only reason we went with one again is that we had no problems with our previous boat ( we had for 8 years) and this is the second problem  in just 12 months and this could have turned out much worse than it did.  Anyone else having issues like this? 

That's not a Chaparral issue. First of all, what boat? Second of all, sounds like a dts/ECM/lower shift cable issue.

Yea, I'd blame that on the engine, drive, linkage manufacturer. I have to admit, I've never heard of that happening. Best of luck getting it resolved. Still under warranty?

Mercruiser engine, I bet. I just recently read about something similar on another forum and, if I remember correctly, there is recall for this issue.

Chap has nothing to do with this, dont be disappointed with Chap, take it up with the engine manufacturer.

How awful and scary! How did you end up getting the motor to shut off? If the key didn't work and the kill switch didn't what did you do?

We are guessing that you have Merc DTS, and that you had a serious ECM failure as it essentially took control out of your hands. I've seen some pretty in-explainable issues when inadequate voltage was supplied to a modern ECM, but nothing like this. PLEASE provide feedback on what is found here as there are several of our forum members who have boats with similar equipment. As others have said, this is a Merc issue but Chaparral is still using your power package and if there is a recall or software update, owners and dealers I'm sure would like to hear the details and get a jump on it.  Usually I can find critical recall notices on line but the only thing I found even close to what you are referring to was as a result of a lightning strike.  W

THank you for the feedback.  And yes it is a Mer engine.  We were hesitant, as our last Chaparral had a Volvo and we were very happy with that.  The boat we currently have is a 2015 H20 21 Sport Luxury.  I am about to call Texas Marine and schedule to bring it in and let all of you know.  I have searched for any recalls and Chaparral does not have any.  I will do a search for Merc though.  I will be abck to update once we know what malfunctioned.  I am curious as to what the other forum is that you all saw someone else that had the same problem.

5 minutes ago, Troy04 said:

THank you for the feedback.  And yes it is a Mer engine.  We were hesitant, as our last Chaparral had a Volvo and we were very happy with that.  The boat we currently have is a 2015 H20 21 Sport Luxury.  I am about to call Texas Marine and schedule to bring it in and let all of you know.  I have searched for any recalls and Chaparral does not have any.  I will do a search for Merc though.  I will be abck to update once we know what malfunctioned.  I am curious as to what the other forum is that you all saw someone else that had the same problem.

Boat recalls are different, as your warranty for the power package is with Merc, not Chap. If you took your ride back to a Chap dealer who was exclusively Volvo, he would not do warranty work on a Merc. You need to forget that the engine is in a Chap, and find yourself a really good Merc authorized service center, regardless of what brand of boat they sell. Two separate animals. Over the road trucks are the same deal. Buy a Kenworth, and if it has an engine issue, find a Cummins, Detroit, or Cat dealer you really trust depending on what is sitting between the frame rails. If the door falls off the cab, call Kenworth.    W

I'm curious to this too as not being able pull out of gear is an very interesting.  I'm highly doubting he has DTS on a H20.

Will be interesting to find out what happened. I would have expected the key to shut everything off. 

brick

Once it hit the boat lift/dock that stopped it, I was able to get the shifter forward, (which should accelerate) but that stopped the prop and then I was able to remove the key, but before that the key would not release.  It was terrifying as I has 4 kids on the boat and my wife standing on the dock that I hit.  Taking it to shop this afternoon and will let you all know what we find out.  And to top it off the neighbors would not help to tow the boat 5 houses down to launch, so I had to pay a guy on the lake $225 to tow it there.  The whole thing was a pain.

23 minutes ago, Troy04 said:

Once it hit the boat lift/dock that stopped it, I was able to get the shifter forward, (which should accelerate) but that stopped the prop and then I was able to remove the key, but before that the key would not release.  It was terrifying as I has 4 kids on the boat and my wife standing on the dock that I hit.  Taking it to shop this afternoon and will let you all know what we find out.  And to top it off the neighbors would not help to tow the boat 5 houses down to launch, so I had to pay a guy on the lake $225 to tow it there.  The whole thing was a pain.

Hmmm...:scratchchin:

Isnt the transmission a mechanical connection with shift cables?   How could it be working fine and then all of a sudden the mechanical system reverses?   Is this even possible?

11 minutes ago, jeffreydc said:

Isnt the transmission a mechanical connection with shift cables?   How could it be working fine and then all of a sudden the mechanical system reverses?   Is this even possible?

not sure are new boats drive by wire or is there a cable on the shifter,  if its mechanical I don't see how its switches magically and does what it wants.  I wasn't there but something gets bumped, close quarters, mistakes happen by operators and what happened isn't really what happened. Basically oh chit situation something happens. 

But if I were the OP and im trying to seek compensation for something from the manufacturer I would cease to post and document and document some more.

DTS is magic, all else is cable. I agree, no way DTS is on an entry level "luxury" bowrider.

Volvo has magic EVC. Quite similar to Merc DTS, and not void of "strange" issues either.

37 minutes ago, Troy04 said:

And to top it off the neighbors would not help to tow the boat 5 houses down to launch, so I had to pay a guy on the lake $225 to tow it there.  The whole thing was a pain.

Sorry to read about your incident, certainly sounds very scary, especially with the kids on board.

Just a quick FYI: a year of BoatUS towing coverage costs about $180 in most places.  You may want to consider getting it, new boats are definitely not immune from issues.

Good luck with a speedy resolution, I'm sure they will find the root cause and restore your trust in your vessel.

After reading all these threads - I have a few "comments"  

1. your neighbor is an A$3hole  - i just towed my neighbors Hobie skiff 1 mile to the launch as he had engine problems - not to tow you 5 houses down - :angry:

2. dealer should cover the tow bill and pass that onto Merc or whomever is at fault for your issue 

3.  certainly - any dings or scratches on the boat should be covered as well due to your mechanical issue - and hopefully your dealer will handle that too

9 hours ago, Troy04 said:

Boat recalls are different, as your warranty for the power package is with Merc, not Chap. If you took your ride back to a Chap dealer who was exclusively Volvo, he would not do warranty work on a Merc. You need to forget that the engine is in a Chap, and find yourself a really good Merc authorized service center, regardless of what brand of boat they sell. Two separate animals. Over the road trucks are the same deal. Buy a Kenworth, and if it has an engine issue, find a Cummins, Detroit, or Cat dealer you really trust depending on what is sitting between the frame rails. If the door falls off the cab, call Kenworth.    W

Now that we know you have a 2015 H2O, we can rule out a bunch of stuff as the ECM is out of the loop as you obviously don't have Digital Throttle & Shift.  Your entire shift and throttle are cable actuated mechanical systems. No fly by wire here, and if you truly believe that operator error is not a possibility here, then you better be at the dealership when they take apart the helm station.  W

I have panicked a bit when I did not move the controls by watching the actual hand movements. THOUGHT I WAS PERFECT. But I was not really doing what I normally do.

Just did  a messy dicking this lunch time.    It happens.

13 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Now that we know you have a 2015 H2O, we can rule out a bunch of stuff as the ECM is out of the loop as you obviously don't have Digital Throttle & Shift.  Your entire shift and throttle are cable actuated mechanical systems. No fly by wire here, and if you truly believe that operator error is not a possibility here, then you better be at the dealership when they take apart the helm station.  W

Since its mechanical and like I said you just reiterated, the OP better be there when they take the boat apart.  Being mechanical, it just doesn't reverse its self, if anything it would become loose and be less responsive or non responsive, the controls just don't flip, and then on top of it the cut off didn't work.  Like I said earlier seems more like a situation came about, split second, panic, and maybe mistakes were made.

Rather than trying to make a guess at this terrible crash I am thankful no one got hurt hope all go's well for this family