Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MasterT

Circuit Breaker Upsizing

6 posts in this topic

I finished installing a secondary bilge pump to my 2017 21 H2O Sport and connected the manual feed to one of the unused switches. My unused switches include ACC and Docking Light - I connected to Acc (accessories). My new pump requires 15A breaker but ACC has 3A breaker installed. So, after calculating what wire guage I need and installing the appropriate size wire, I need a 15A breaker. After some research, I found out that Chaparral uses is from Carling Technologies.

Here is the link to a datasheet to determine a model number of the breaker you need: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/65/CMB-Series_Details___COS_042613-369371.pdf

I need CMB-153-27G8N-B-J or CMB-153-27G3N-B-J (the difference is the mounting nut, which is irrelevant as I'll be re-using the one I have)

I found this site has them less than 3 a piece: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/

Hope this helps someone 

Thanks for sharing. Online Components looks good, maybe too good with some 175,000 or so Carling components alone in their catalog. Might be a really good online resource once you check them out. Please post an update when you get the goods. Thanks.

Sounds like if acc and lights are wired with 3 amp breakers, there's very little draw and chance of too much heat of fire, however, just remember, they use a 3 amp breaker for a reason. If there is an electrical issue, the system is meant to catch it early without issue.

Just be sure the volt gauge isn't a part of that circuit as it draws much more amperage and needs proper protection.

3 hours ago, bob and betsy said:

Sounds like if acc and lights are wired with 3 amp breakers, there's very little draw and chance of too much heat of fire, however, just remember, they use a 3 amp breaker for a reason. If there is an electrical issue, the system is meant to catch it early without issue.

Just be sure the volt gauge isn't a part of that circuit as it draws much more amperage and needs proper protection.

Sure, that's why I ran  a new wire sized for the load and distance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Just be sure the volt gauge isn't a part of that circuit as it draws much more amperage and needs proper protection." can you elaborate please?

I would wire the 2nd pump on its own circuit. If the other pump fails and starts popping the breaker than the 2nd pump is rendered useless. Also as Master T mentioned, you want to protect the rest of the wiring. If there is a 2nd battery, I would wire it directly to it for the auto to work and the manual wire to the helm.

Defender.com has Blue Sea's breakers in the 6 deer range too.