Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MasterT

Finished installing a secondary bilge pump on 21 H2O (Pics fixed)

8 posts in this topic

So I finished installing and plumbing a secondary pump in my 21 H2O and it turned out pretty easy project.

Before:
1.jpg

Located and drilled the hole
2.jpg

Prepped the parts
3.jpg

Installed and sealed the thru-hull fitting
4.jpg

The rest was done next day to allow adhesive to cure. Connected the hose to the fitting and routed it to the bilge pump location
5.jpg

Installed a little starboard platform right next to the the one from the factory and mounted the pump with Ultra Safety System switch.
6.jpg

7.jpg

The rule float switch on the right is not mine, it's from the factory
8.jpg

Finished by running the wires to the battery distribution panel for always hot and to the helm for manual operation.

Edited by MasterT
Updated pictures

Sounds like it all went well. 

Did your factory unit not work properly, not hot wired to be permanently live, or did you do just for peace of mind?

Well done.

2 minutes ago, bob and betsy said:

Sounds like it all went well. 

Did your factory unit not work properly, not hot wired to be permanently live, or did you do just for peace of mind?

Well done.

While the factory bilge pump works, it is only rated 500 GPM and, in addition, is plumbed with corrugated hose, which reduces flow by 30%. Plus, I do take my little boat "near shore" fishing (1-5 miles out in the ocean, cant really call that "off shore", but, still, in the ocean), So, not much trust in the factory setup if an emergency situation arises. For a few hundred bucks, and a fun weekend project, this was a no brainer.

Master T nice looking install. I used the same pump & switch in my boat. Did a lot of research on switches before I went with the USS switch. After I got my switch, I had some questions about some wires, and when I called USS they gave me the number of the guy that invented it, and I spoke directly to him. You may want to get some corrugated wire covering to wrap around the wires and find a way to secure it to try and keep the wires moving/bouncing while the boat is in motion. It's cheap enough...I got mine at Home Depot.

20 minutes ago, RCJG228 said:

Master T nice looking install. I used the same pump & switch in my boat. Did a lot of research on switches before I went with the USS switch. After I got my switch, I had some questions about some wires, and when I called USS they gave me the number of the guy that invented it, and I spoke directly to him. You may want to get some corrugated wire covering to wrap around the wires and find a way to secure it to try and keep the wires moving/bouncing while the boat is in motion. It's cheap enough...I got mine at Home Depot.

Yeah, I spent some time researching the switch as well and wanted something that would last as working in the little bilge is very uncomfortable and difficult. I too called the switch company with a question and was directed to the owner - nice and very knowledgable guy. Thanks for the tip on wire management loom - it was already on my shopping list :D