Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MasterT

My additions to 21 H2O (Pictures Corrected)

8 posts in this topic

1. Installed dual batteries, this is the second, House, battery
    11.jpg

2. Installed a battery charger (this is my starting battery next to the charger)
    12.jpg

3. Installed battery management switch with dedicated circuit breaker for each bilge pump, starboard power distribution panel, and forthcoming port distribution panel
    9.jpg

4. Installed ACR
    10.jpg

5. Installed a secondary bilge pump
    7.jpg

Once I run the wires and install the port power distribution panel that would cover the necessities. Then would be the time to upgrade the speakers, add tower speakers, install amps, and finally add a chart plotter.

Oh, forgot to mention. the built-in cooler. On H2O that thing is located less than a foot from the engine but for some reason Chap decided to insulate only the sites :o leaving the bottom exposed to the heat from the engine.

So I purchased 32" x 54" x 3/4" Dynamat and, after removing the bulkheads from both compartments on each side of the cooler, I was able to insulate the whole thing once over including the bottom. So now my built-in cooler is really a cooler and easily holds ice for the entire day in Florida sun even with all the heat from the engine when cruising.

12 hours ago, MasterT said:

So I purchased 32" x 54" x 3/4" Dynamat and, after removing the bulkheads from both compartments on each side of the cooler, I was able to insulate the whole thing once over including the bottom. So now my built-in cooler is really a cooler and easily holds ice for the entire day in Florida sun even with all the heat from the engine when cruising.

What do you mean by "removing the bulkheads from both compartment'?.  I have the 2015 21 H2O and I agree that the cooler isn't really a 'cooler' but just a place to hold ice.  Did you have any problems with the screws coming loose from the piano hinge?  I had a few pull out and I have to tell my guests that when they close the lid/seat they have to make sure they 'flip it back' otherwise the seat isn't fully seated and sags if someone sits on it.  Hard to explain but H20 owners will know what I mean.

More questions - do you have issues with the ski locker draining?  My drain hole is right against the fuel tank and it does not drain real well.

For the chart plotter I was very hesitant to cut into the dash so I used the cup holder as a 'mount'.  I cut a piece of white trex fascia I had lying around into a 5 inch circle (larger than the cupholder opening), placed that over the cupholder, drilled a hole in the center of the circle, and used a 4 or 5 inch stainless machine screw that I put through the hole down into the cupholder and through the drain hole at the bottom of the cupholder.  I then attached the base of the chartplotter to the round trex  and the chartplotter to the base holder.  I ran the wires down the side and connected to the accessory switch.  This cost a few dollars for the stainless screw and nuts/washers and I disconnect the chartplotter and take it home after each trip (my boat stays in a slip).  Best (and only) upgrade I did so far!chartplotter.jpg

21 hours ago, HunkerDown said:

What do you mean by "removing the bulkheads from both compartment'?

I removed panels located between port and starboard side of the cooler and storage compartments under seats:

13.jpg

The small cross lines indicate the screws. This allowed me to pull the insulation mat all the way under the cooler and wrap it on the front side of the cooler.

Did you have any problems with the screws coming loose from the piano hinge?

No, not yet, but since you mentioned it I'll see what I can do prevent it. I know exactly what you mean that if the seat is not "flipped back" then it will sag into the cooler.

More questions - do you have issues with the ski locker draining?  My drain hole is right against the fuel tank and it does not drain real well.

Yes, I do but not because of the fuel tank location as in my boat the tank is located underneath the locker, not behind it. My ski locker drain issue is because the drain holes are not drilled in flush with the bottom of the storage but just a tad higher preventing the water to drain properly. I'm planning to fix that by drilling holes in the bottom of the storage.

Nice setup with the chartplotter!

13 hours ago, HunkerDown said:

For some reason I can't see your pictures.  Do you think I have a problem in my settings?

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Drewm3i must have an account on another "truth" forum from which I was sharing the pic and he was able to see them

Should be fixed now