danjcaputo

Instrument lighting

39 minutes ago, danjcaputo said:

My 2002 SSI instrument lights don't seem to be working . Does anyone have an idea ....  am I missing something ? 

Check fuse, ground, and power going to them.  Denny.

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question because you said 'seem'.  Is it night when you are checking them.  They are not very bright and at least on my 220, I can't see them until it gets pretty dark.  The first evening ride I took this spring when I bought it I remember thinking, 'do the gauge lights not work".  Generally I can tell that the compass light is on most times of the day, but not the gauges.  

In my opinion, dim lights on a 12 volt system could be a  high resistance connection somewhere. My instrument panel uses a common ground (black). If they are all dim I would look into the common issues.

Get the wiring diagram and check on terminal points, splices or connectors.   The degradation-corrosion  of connections is elevated especially if the boat spends a lot of time in an salt environment.

Just some simple thoughts. 

Following.  I'm experiencing intermittent failure of the gauge lights but haven't actually done any digging yet other than noticing my dimmer knob doesn't do anything. :) 

21 minutes ago, brirei said:

Following.  I'm experiencing intermittent failure of the gauge lights but haven't actually done any digging yet other than noticing my dimmer knob doesn't do anything. :) 

I have the exact same symptoms.  Gave up on it long ago.  LOL!  But in fairness, it has been fairly consistently lit for my few evening outings.  But, like you, the dimmer knob does absolutely nothing.

Many years ago. The Japanese stopped using wire wound rheostats for dimmers. They used cheaper Integrated Circuits that control brightness.  They can die quicker & cost a bundle.

I opened up my dash to have a look see at the light bulbs to see if any were burn out and found that they had red rubber cover to change the color to red I removed all the rubber covers it did get I bit brighter but I wanted more so I replaced all the lights on the boat that I could with led bulbsnow I can even use the dimmer at night because now my dashboard is light the way it was meant to be . Goodluck