Sign in to follow this  
aviator41

Alpha one Gen2 trim limits

My older 1830 has the Merc 4.3 with the Alpha one Gen2 outdrive.

I've recently replaced the trim limit switch and trim sender. The limit switch was adjusted according to directions so that when the trim rams are extended to 21 3/4 inches (if I remember correctly), the limit switch kicks in and stops the outdrive from coming up further using the trim switch. With the outdrive trimmed all the way up to that limit, the trim gauge reads full UP. The trailer switch will then bring it up the rest of the way, only stopping because the ram runs out of throw. I can then hear the hydraulic pump bogging down and know that the outdrive is in full trailer position.

when lowering the outdrive using the trim DOWN switch, the rams can be fully retracted to minimum throw and I can hear the hydraulic pump bogging down, the trim gauge reads full DOWN trim, as expected.

My question is this: Should the limit switch be stopping the hydraulics once the drive reaches the full DOWN position like it does in the full up position (pre-trailer)? I'm concerned that when on the water and at speed you can't hear the hydraulics. If someone continues to hold the trim down switch, I could see this potentially causing damage to either the hydraulic pump, lines or rams. worst case, I could see a line bursting or the pump burning up and then we have no way to put the outdrive up to trailer.

Do I have something incorrectly installed or am I missing another switch somewhere?

Hmm. I'm not hearing that pitch change. I wonder if that valve is bad or ceased up or if I just don't have the guts to hold the switch long enough!

Yeah, when going down it goes, " eeeeeeeeeeeee....uuuu."  When it goes "uuu" it's all the way down.

2 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Yeah, when going down it goes, " eeeeeeeeeeeee....uuuu."  When it goes "uuu" it's all the way down.

Sounds like my daughter explaining why her car doesn't work. :D I wonder if it "Smells Funny" also?

Joe

On my Alpha one Gen 2, 

It obviously will stop in the up position until it gets the trailer point. Going down you watch the gauge and listen for the pump to grunt. I grunt it down before I accelerate and get ready to come out of the water. Being up just a little can really have a impact on coming up on plane. 

Thanks for all the replies, Sounds like I have it set up right, I just have to listen for the "uuuuuuuuuuuuuu" grunt, which is what I'm doing.

Man I love the technical terminology! You guys are alright by me!

I used to play with the trim up & down running position positions constantly. Until I got rid of the speed prop. The Grippy prop  requires no trim angle changes from dead stop floored to W O T speed.

Runs just like a fixed shaft, inboard engine, boat.   Great not to play with trim everytime.

21 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Hit the nail on the head! Great technical description:)