Sign in to follow this  
poverty88

Mechanical Issues on motor

Hello, I am new to the site and am looking for some help and or suggestions on a mechanical issue I'm currently having with my 1989 Chaparaal 2100SX. Over the weekend My wife and I were out boating on Lake Michigan when we became dead in the water. As we were cruising back to the pier head, the motor acted as if I had turned the ignition switch off. At that point I put the throttle in neutral and turned the switch to off and had a buddy pull us back into the docks.  A brief diagnosis that I was able to do is as follows:  Motor cut off as if I turned the ignition switch off.  I checked the oil dip stick which was full and no signs of leaking oil anywhere. once a thorough look through was conducted I felt that there was no apparent problem, I decided to see if the motor would turn over. Hooked up the muffs and was able to see that the boat was cranking over and there was compression. Gave it a shot of ether to ensure boat was getting fuel, still start. Then I checked the spark plugs, at which I found that we were not getting a spark at any of the plugs I pulled. So here I am looking for some guidance on where to go from here. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. 

Ignition module inside the distributor.  If it's a Merc, PM Shepherd for the upgraded part number as the OEM's were problematic.

Poverty 88,

You may want to look at the neutral kill switch adjustment and/or function. Personally speaking I have a 5.7 Mercruiser 1995 and once in a great while I have "center" the controller. i.e. reverse to forward and find the sweet spot (neutral) You would be surprised. I have assisted a few out on the docks that had the same problem. 

Technically speaking, the neutral switch on the carburetor kills the engine as you go from forward to reverse- Reverse to forward for a split second. A bad adjustment  could have some impact. 

Just a little adder; Wingnut most likely has it. Its been some long since the neutral kill switch acted up I can not remember if it takes out the ignition including starter cranking or just the ignition. 

Let us know what you find...

Thanks Guys for the information. I'm going to get engine information and play around with it this upcoming weekend. Will let ya'll know what I find out.