Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eluther3

Best place to winterize

14 posts in this topic

Since I'm a newbie, I've never winterized a boat before.  What does it normally cost and what's involved?  For those of you in Dallas, what places would you recommend (hopefully close to Lake Ray Hubbard?)

Can't help you with places over there. Plano Marine is close they maybe able to help. Since my boat sits in the water, I don't do a lot of winterizing, long as there is power I am good. Any maintenance that I need I have the marina where I am on Lewisville do it. 

2 hours ago, Eluther3 said:

Since I'm a newbie, I've never winterized a boat before.  What does it normally cost and what's involved?  For those of you in Dallas, what places would you recommend (hopefully close to Lake Ray Hubbard?)

Your putting up already?  There is 1.5 months still left!

I do my own.

Duane 2135,

Have you been to Nik's on Lk Travis yet?  There was a Poker Run last weekend.  ~40 Go Fast boats stopped there for lunch.  Have to say, it was AMAZING watching them all start, drift until most were under load and then they all took off.......what a sight & sound......as the gallons of fuel vanished.  Our Chap 330 is moored at SCYC, right next door.....Now that I re-read your post, I took Mansfield, TX as Mansfield Dam.....Nevermind!

Lol, no I haven't. I've only been on Travis once, on a friends boat, that lives down there.  I did go up the river this year at Lake Buchanan.  Love the hill country,makes for nice boating.  

Maybe the question to ask is how many of you winterize your boats?  Given our moderate climate here, we get about 5-10 days below freezing each winter.  How do you prepare your boats?  Mine will be in covered (but not enclosed) storage

Since boat is sitting out it will need to be fully protected from freezing. There have been several winters here that have gotten well below freezing for several days. 

You definitely will want to winterize your boat.  Every spring this forum seems to light up with cracked blocks.  Cheap insurance.

9 hours ago, Eluther3 said:

Maybe the question to ask is how many of you winterize your boats?  Given our moderate climate here, we get about 5-10 days below freezing each winter.  How do you prepare your boats?  Mine will be in covered (but not enclosed) storage

Here's a nice video on winterizing.  They go as far as removing the drive, but that's not necessarily needed. Like MPM, our boat is in the water year round so I only drain the block if it's going to get cold.  I have a bilge heater, so as long as we have electricity we SHOULD be good, but I never take that chance if I can help it.  Of course I winterize the other systems (water, head, air conditioner, generator) before the weather hits the 30s.

Boat sitting in water is protected to some extent. I do drain water from holding tanks and water lines. I count on the bilge and cabin heaters to protect the rest. If there was a power failure I live close so the genset  could be used. I also empty the cockpit frig, which can take several trips to the boat. :lol:

Update

Took the boat in to Rockwall Marine Monday morning for winterizing.  Decided to bring it in at 8 am as I was concerned that the cold weather would bring a rush of boats, but the lot was empty when I got there.

Went to pick up on Wednesday, there were 30 boats there.  Amazing what 20 degree weather does.