310Rob

Windless won't pull rope

Hey everyone..... first post...... been trolling all summer though.

I have a 06 Signature 310 with a Lewmar Pro Series 1000 windless that is giving me some issues. I have 30' of 5/16 chain and 200' 3 strand 7/8 line, probably original to the boat. My windless doesn't want to pull up the rope very consistently, I have to help put a load on it from the anchor locker by pulling down on the rope after the gypsy. It will catch for a while and then stop and I have to again put more of a load on it. Once I get to chain I have no issues. When it is trying to pull up the rope without my assistance the tension nut (I think that is what it is called, it's the piece that looks like a Y below) spins and makes an awful sound. I have tightened that down as much as I can by hand and it make no difference. Any ideas what the issue might be? I'm thinking of replacing the line with 150' (I'm lake only) of chain but that is pricey. The gypsy is 1/4 the cost of the chain but I don't want to be throwing parts at this.

PRO-SERIES-RENDER.87_6.png

The line my have worn down a little. I would buy new line and re-splice it onto the chain.  I would not replace it with all chain. First off, your on a lake, Secondly, its a lot of weight!!  

You should have a wrench for the windless, use it to tighten the nut some more.

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

You should have a wrench for the windless, use it to tighten the nut some more.

No wrench for my model..... searched everywhere

I've always had the same issue, but I rarely have to anchor. The anchor locker in the 310 seems too small for 200 feet of rope, plus 30 feet of chain so I shortened the rope to 150 feet and it helped a little bit. I still have to have my wife run the windless while I hover over the locker and keep the in coming rope from piling up. If tightening the windless with a wrench helps, please let me know.

There should of been a wrench, it is possible that you didn't get it. 

What size rope is that windlass spec'd for?  Maybe 7/8 is too big and it's not getting a good bite.  I thought my windlass had 5/8 nylon rope.  If it's the correct size, reverse the rope and use the end that is tied off in the anchor locker.  Splice that end to the anchor and put the worn out end in the anchor locker.  

I'm having a similar issue with my Quick windlass.   It seems to have trouble keeping the rode on the gypsy.   I usually step on the tensioner arm with my foot to make it work.  That sometimes helps.   But I believe the main culprit is the angle in which the rode enters the gypsy.  I think the windlass sits too low in our anchor locker.   

Try holding the rode down as its entering the gypsy.  I found this to be my issue and will most likely be installing a roller just in front of the windlass, or a J bolt that the rode will ride under.   

My 2013 310 can probably hold 300 ft of rope.

Resplice?

Once an anchor line gets wet, it is not easy to resplice. Splicing line from rope to chain for a windlass is not easy.

I bought some line from Dark Horse marine in Tampa. Prices were excellent. He also respliced my old line.

There has to be a way for you tighten your gypsy.

Try Lewmars website.

Good Luck.

Look in your windlass manual or search for the manual online.  I have the same model and can't remember for sure, but I think it actually can be tightened using a 1/2" ratchet, meaning just the ratchet handle itself.

Your windlass should have a wrench that looks like a crescent wrench with a square block on the end.  Not sure if it will help you because you should be able to tighten that model down pretty good by hand.  Is it possible the rope is not laying down in the locker and jamming the gypsy. I had a problem this year after I changed my windlass to a larger one.  The feed hole for the rope was to small and the rope kept jamming.  I had to pull the windlass off again and re drill the hole. To see if maybe your rope is worn feed out all your anchor line and see if it pulls it up without any problems with the part of your rope that usually stays in the locker.  If that works replace the rope. 

Al

Thanks everyone, found the wrench at West Marine should have it in time for the weekend and will crank it down. There are no issues with the rope being fed into the locker and the tension arm works great, I might just have a worn out gypsy. In my research Lewmar recommends replacing that as it is a heavily worn part and @ buck twenty five it's cheaper than replacing the rode. Not even going to try and splice that myself! Will post my results. 

You don't want to crank that down all the way, there should be room for slippage or you can damage the windlass motor.  See if you can find the owners manual on line. 

Al

Splicing rode to chain is easy.  Just watch the YouTube videos.  It's actually pretty therapeutic, if not fun and rewarding, for us boat nerds. 

Have you watched the videos or actually do it?

Did you feed it through your windlass?

Checkout the seafood festival in rockledge oct 8th.

1 hour ago, jeffk said:

Have you watched the videos or actually do it?

Did you feed it through your windlass?

Checkout the seafood festival in rockledge oct 8th.

Here's mine......I defy you to find a finer splice!  Haha.    I'll be in Prague that weekend......

D7D05DC8-18BF-40CB-AAE6-C24098A081EE.jpgA4315896-B815-4FB5-92F8-A918275B9830.jpg

Just had to replace my anchor, rope and chain because of a stuck anchor.

I have the pro series 1000 also, the manual calls for 5/8" rope. Mine also had 7/8.

I think the rope is too wide to fit into the teeth?? of the windlass.

I switched to 5/8" it seems to work fine.

West marine has 150' of 5/8 rope and 15' of 5/16" spliced for 210 deer

Way too much time on your hands!

You need to put some hours on that boat!

Prague sounds cool.

45 minutes ago, jeffk said:

Way too much time on your hands!

You need to put some hours on that boat!

Prague sounds cool.

Well someone had to do it!   Haha, and whaddya talking about....almost 400hrs in 2.5yrs is pretty good id say :-).  Prague is a blast.....Dublin tonight.  

Just also make sure you using 3 strand nylon rope.  I had 3 strand rope on mine but it wasn't nylon and I was having the same issues.  I also went down one size on my rope and it catches must better now.

Happy to report that I got the tool and cranked it down after I hand tightened it. Have to say it tightened up more that I thought, but it did the trick..... no issues with pulling up the rope on my first trip out after tightening it down. Will see how the next couple of times go.

I have the same problem with my 02 280 Sig. I think it just requires tightening in my situation. That will have to be a spring commissioning task as she is getting pulled from the water today for winter layup. :unsure: