Trailering a Signature 240

Hi, I live in NJ, I'm about to close on a signature 240, and I need to buy a trailer for it. I've been trailering a 20' cuddy for years on a roller trailer with no issues and I love the freedom.

We've gotten stuck behind folks trying to pull their boats out of lakes and rivers with bunk trailers several times. Apparently it seems that here in the north east, the ramps are either shorter or shallower and the bunks don't do so well. Since we are buying the boat from a seller further south, everyone down there is pushing bunk trailers. They have me worried about hull damage with rollers and swear that bunks are simple to use. Anyone have any experience trailering a Sig 240 that can make a recommendation for roller vs bunks? Thanks in advance!

Call Joe Celano at Cecil Marine in Williamstown NJ. They are a Sea Lion dealer which are made near you in Bellmawr NJ.    Priced right, and if you order it through him, it will be set up perfectly for your Sig.   Sea Lion builds to order, and can put one together for you in a few days.   Stainless steel brake lines, LED lights, torsion axles, turbo-lube bearings, radial tires with spare, roller bunks, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a power winch if you specify one.   W

http://cecilmarine.com/

http://www.sealiontrailers.com/contact_us.htm

1 hour ago, 10 More Minutes said:

Thanks Wingnut, but thoughts on bunks vs rollers for a sig... Is it too heavy for rollers?

It's all about having enough rollers. My 256 trailer has 64 rollers and I can turn each one by hand when the boat is loaded. Adjustment and total roller count is the key. My Sea Ray weighed 11,800# and was hauled with a triple axle roller trailer with 184 rollers. Easy on, easy off and zero hull stress. Let Cecil get the rollers in the right places and you will have zero issues. Steep ramps and big tides, rollers are the way to go.    W

Load-Rite is in Fairless Hills Pa, in lower Bucks County.  I just purchased an aluminum bunk trailer from them last week.  Really nice trailer and very well built.  I purchased thru Pirate Marine, LLC which is a dealer in OH.  I was able to meet the driver right down by the factory to take delivery of my trailer rather than have them drive it to OH and me pick it up out there.  Load-Rite set the bunks for my 256 so I just had to do some minor adjustment at the ramp.  I have always preferred bunks over rollers for better support and less maint.  I've never had a problem loading my boat in 25 years.  I'm on and out in minutes!  In fact, opposite of you, I see people have more problems loading on a roller trailer.  However, if I were boating at the shore and had to deal with low tides then I might consider rollers because winching the boat up the bunks if the water is too low doesn't work.

1 hour ago, MonkeySeaII said:

my wife thought she was funny taking photos of me laying under the trailer in the sandy, filthy parking lot in the rain adjusting the front target bunks!

IMG_8365_zpst18lctp1.jpg

That yellow hull crud showed up down here this year too. Not that easy to remove and this is the first year I've ever seen it. Keep in mind my boat seldom stays in the water for more than 12 hours at a time.  W

my boat is slipped so it gets a case of the nasties after about month.  I typically pull it once/month and clean it.  I use On/Off in a paint pan with a soft brush on a pole.  Just brush it on, let it sit for a few, then hose off.  Pretty simple to get it clean.  Although the other photo she took is of the transom with some kind of plant growing like huge weeds on the fiberglass!  That took some scrubbing with a stiff brush!

2 minutes ago, 10 More Minutes said:

Were picking the boat up in Virgina.... Getting it adjusted down there before driving back to NJ  is going to be a challenge, since we havent done it before.... If I buy the trailer down there so they can size and adjust it, they just want to sell me bunks.

Get it from Cecil and it will be right for your ride when you pick it up. They are a Chap dealer and know what they are doing.  W