Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LakeLady

I am not impressed with the parts guides either!

2 posts in this topic

I have been through the operators manual for my Volvo V8-300 boat motor.  Under "Technical Data" I found that the fuel filter is the "Volvo Penta, water separating, spin-on filter."  Super.  Even I know that is not enough info.  So I went to the Chaparral site and looked at their part guides, and they don't even list a fuel filter at all!  Geez.  I called my dealership and had to leave a message.  Still waiting for a return call.  This is asinine! It's not like I'm looking for some obscure, special, hard-to-find item.  It is a fuel filter for heaven's sake!

Boat builders rely on various power plant suppliers for the same boat. That is now and has always been a function of consumer demand and preference. If Chap only offered Volvo, then I'd be riding something else. It makes zero sense for a boat builder to copy service information for all their various engine suppliers and put their name on the cover. Don't expect the dealer network to do it either as they are in the service business too. Chaparral's boat information and parts guide is the best I've seen for boats in this price range. Most companies offer nothing in the way of a parts guide, and to suggest that Chap should include OEM sub-supplier information makes no sense at all. When you go to the Lexus dealer do you ask them for a part number and source for Bendix brakes, Walker mufflers, and Fram filters? What ever you walk out with will say Lexus on the box and you will pay a premium for that piece of mind.

As far as engine and drive parts, both your warranty and supply chain is with the Marine Engine Supplier. If you need Volvo service then ANY Volvo authorized dealer can handle your needs, regardless of what brand of boat they sell. If you need Volvo specific do it yourself information then buy the 3 OEM manuals for your ride. The ECM, Drive, and Engine all have specific manuals which no boat company in this price range includes with the purchase. I'm not saying it's right but it's been this way forever. Better to take the time to get the good information then to depend on a generic, rarely updated "owners manual".   Boat builders build boats. Engine builders build engines. Go with the Pro's.    W