hubbard

Raymarine RL70C with Radar

I just purchased a 2003 208 Signature.  It is equipped with the following;

Depth Instrument Raymarine ST60 Tridata.  (The back light is not working.)

Raymarine RL70C with Radar.  There is no C-Map card with the unit.  The radar works fine.  My question is this navigation equipment even worth purchasing a $200.00 C-Map Card?  I feel this technology is very outdated and I don't know whether an updated card would be a good navigation tool or not. 

Any advise or recommendations regarding this equipment would be appreciated...

I have a 03 280 sig, with the same package.  Very outdated and not worth putting any money into.  The internal battry which is not replaceable without spending big money on has failed in my device.  I have to reset every option on startup every time.  Very frustrating.  With that said, it's gotten me through some serious fog in tight conditions. I'm going for the garmin 741 package or the Simrad this winter.

Good luck

I have a very similar set on my 2003 320 Signature. The Tridata depth gauge it came with when new is there, along with the RL70 (no color), but no navigation card. I use it for radar only, and rely on the standard horizon GPS unit the previous owner installed. It works okay, but I would never recommend trying to use the RL70 for navigation, the technology is just too old. That being said, having at least something for radar at night is a godsend, and I couldn't imagine running the boat without the dual-screen setup. If you have room on the helm, I would keep the RL70 for radar and put the extra couple hundred deer towards a better GPS unit.