Kwood92

Hurricane Prep

73 posts in this topic

Are there any suggested special preparations those of us along the east coast should do to prepare our boats for the pending hurricane  other than take the boat out of the water for those who can. 

The track looks a little closer to the east coast than the previous forecast.  

Wingnut anything you are doing in the upper bay to protect your boat?

34 minutes ago, Kwood92 said:

Are there any suggested special preparations those of us along the east coast should do to prepare our boats for the pending hurricane  other than take the boat out of the water for those who can. 

The track looks a little closer to the east coast than the previous forecast.  

Wingnut anything you are doing in the upper bay to protect your boat?

My ride is garage kept and seldom stays wet for more than 16 hours per splash. Years ago when I had my big Sea Ray, I was concerned enough about high water in my marina, that I brought her into a protected back water and put out two storm anchors. Mooring cover and 30% off-set dual bow anchors. Boats just do better when they can move around a bit with their head to the wind. Ask the US Navy, storm coming? Put to sea...   No wave action in the back cove I hid in. Several suffered damage in the marina when their boats got above the pilings. Neighboring covered marina lost a roof and several boats. The dealer on Kent Island just allowed his new boats to float away from their parking lot and called the insurance company. If you are really concerned, we have a mooring field here on Still Pond where a boat could weather a major blow and flood high tides.   W

If your boat is trailered, I`ve heard that it can be beneficial if your boat is coupled to a tow vehicle. If not available somehow tie the boat and trailer down to  stationary objects minimize the possibility of being turned over.

When I was sailing in the Caribbean we would run the sailboats up into a mangrove and lash it down with every line we had.

Since I can't trailer my boat and it stored behind my house in a boat lift, the only thing I can do is raise the boat, tie it off and hope for the best. The boat is insured, but the boat house is not and there's nothing I can do about it. 

Knot Flying will be comfortably lifted as high as possible in my boathouse and ratchet strapped to the pilings.  Our canal is pretty protected; even if it does rise a few feet it shouldn't get the waterline of the boat. 

3 hours ago, Weekend At Bernie's said:

Since I can't trailer my boat and it stored behind my house in a boat lift, the only thing I can do is raise the boat, tie it off and hope for the best. The boat is insured, but the boat house is not and there's nothing I can do about it. 

You should already have purchased your fuel, water, food, booze, beer and medical supplies. If it misses you, well you are ahead for the next month or so. If you wait until the herd freaks out and the masses start moving to make groceries, you have waited too late. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Go ahead and secure your boat in that hurricane hole that scouted out in advance. Then you can take care of your family and not have to worry about that pile of glass reinforced plastic.

Looks like the Exumas, Nassau, the Abacos are going to get wooped big time. I know what a cat 3-4 storm is all about. Had a very slow moving one go right over in 2003. Hurricane force winds for 24 hours. No electricity for 6 weeks. If you get the eyewall there is nothing to joke about.

I was in Miami Beach today and I noticed a lot of boats out in the ocean. At first I thought maybe boaters were repositioning their boats but there was equal movement in both directions. It was a gorgeous day with a light breeze. Probably boaters out cruising around before the end of the earths arrives.

I did noticed that on my way back to Fort Myers that the electronic signs over I-95 and 595...."Hurricane Watch in Effect." I did take a picture of it but haven't posted it yet. I escape [depart] southwest Florida Thursday afternoon. I have a window seat on the MD88 so I'll be able to watch the hurricane as we climb out. I'm not concerned about a cancelation but I would assume that ATC delays may cause my flight to be late and that I miss the last CONX out of DTW.

Place your bets!

7 hours ago, Phillbo said:

You should already have purchased your fuel, water, food, booze, beer and medical supplies. If it misses you, well you are ahead for the next month or so. If you wait until the herd freaks out and the masses start moving to make groceries, you have waited too late. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Go ahead and secure your boat in that hurricane hole that scouted out in advance. Then you can take care of your family and not have to worry about that pile of glass reinforced plastic.

Thanks for the lecture, but my reference to "there's nothing I can do about it" was in reference to my boat house, not my preparedness.

21 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Sheesh...just shifted south and west.

Trailer it and hit the road ? We have a guest room...

brick

7 minutes ago, brick said:

brick

Now Key Largo is not expecting anything above 35 mph winds lol! 

28 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Now Key Largo is not expecting anything above 35 mph winds lol! 

Well, that's an improvement...

brick

6 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

Best of luck to all of you Southern folks.  Take care and be safe!

+1

brick

1 hour ago, brick said:

brick

+1.  I have guest room too that you are welcome to use, but I think Brick is closer....

11 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

+1.  I have guest room too that you are welcome to use, but I think Brick is closer....

You guys are great, Georgia is a hike though! I'd figure 12-15 hours? At this point, if the track were to change drastically, I think I would haul the boat either further south to KW or maybe to the Gulf coast. I may make a trip down do the boat to block off the cover vent and add more straps.

20 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

You guys are great, Georgia is a hike though! I'd figure 12-15 hours? At this point, if the track were to change drastically, I think I would haul the boat either further south to KW or maybe to the Gulf coast. I may make a trip down do the boat to block off the cover vent and add more straps.

Not bad compared to the 20:43 it would be to me.  Did all the people evacuating crash into each other???

Capture_zpszhdvb9hl.png

16 hours ago, e-Xtreme said:

Aircraft policies actually reimburse aircraft owners (of all types) to relocate the aircraft out of harm's way.

Similarly - Boat US Marine Insurance is offering 50% Reimbursement (up to 1000 deer) to have boats professionally hauled for their policy holders that have boats in harms way.

38 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

Not bad compared to the 20:43 it would be to me.  Did all the people evacuating crash into each other???

Capture_zpszhdvb9hl.png

Lol!