Kwood92

Hurricane Prep

73 posts in this topic

wow, I just saw that the track may run right up the FL coast to SC, then loop around and hit South FL again!!  Crazy!  Saying prayers for all of my Brothers in harms way.  If I were closer I'd lend a helping hand.  PA is a bit far.  But if you guys need any kind of assistance please ask.

4 hours ago, drewm3i said:

You guys are great, Georgia is a hike though! I'd figure 12-15 hours? At this point, if the track were to change drastically, I think I would haul the boat either further south to KW or maybe to the Gulf coast. I may make a trip down do the boat to block off the cover vent and add more straps.

I could cut it down to 13 hrs or so. We have space but still a LONG tow in a Hurricane evacuation. Been through a couple of them all the way back to Betsy in 65 and Camille in 69. Trying to evacuate and put up with all the BS involved or stock up, tie down and ride it out????? Every East Coast, Gulf Coast and Florida resident understands this. I NEVER second guess someone's stay or leave decision. 

Joe

If it loops around and heads straight for the keys I will be getting my boat out of there. Weather that means north, south, or west I will do it! Only reason I'm leaving my boat there now is because it is safer than home (Palm Beach County). This storm is looking terrible.

On 4 October 2016 at 7:53 PM, flyboycj84 said:

Knot Flying will be comfortably lifted as high as possible in my boathouse and ratchet strapped to the pilings.  Our canal is pretty protected; even if it does rise a few feet it shouldn't get the waterline of the boat. 

Looks like Merritt Island and Cape Canaveral are the closest FL lands to the storm's current projected path. Storm surge is going to be significant. You might still have time to move your boat ... in any case be safe and be well.

Most insurance will cover a lot of the cost of getting a boat hauled out and secured on the hard in situations like this. Although it's probably too late now.

Big Fun mentioned:

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/june/hurricaneprep.asp 

Getting a boat up on the hard doesn't always save the vessel from damage.  The Boat US recommendations are good.  Floating docks with tall floating pilings are good, those with short pilings not so good.  Lifts, not so good.  Fixed docks, not so good if slip is too narrow. Dry storage constructed before Andrew, not so good.  On the hard in the boat yard, not so good due to storm surge.  Short storm walls near sea conditions. Given, there are exceptions, however many of us have constraints, the best assurance is insurance.  

1 hour ago, Richard W said:

Looks like Merritt Island and Cape Canaveral are the closest FL lands to the storm's current projected path. Storm surge is going to be significant. You might still have time to move your boat ... in any case be safe and be well.

Thanks!   Yeah, we are bracing for a direct hit Cat 4.  We, along with most of our neighbors, are bugging out to a hotel in Orlando.    I think our house is capable of withstanding this, it was renovated in 08.   As for the boat......it is now securely "part" of the boathouse and not going anywhere.   All of my old timer neighbors that have been here for 40 years report that the water may come slightly above the seawall and that's it.  So I should be good.  If not?  Well......down payment on our Meridian!!!!!

Good luck guys up there! I wish it would stay east, but I think my boat is good down south. I just secured the trailer cover really well. We are only expecting 35-45 mph winds down here though! Headed back to Palm Beach County now to put up shutters.

My boat is in  Merritt Island in a hurricane protected facility.

I live in Orlando and we are preparing for the worst.

Supposed to be a beautiful boat day on Sunday!

Everything is replaceable. Except people we care about.

Our friends holed up in a old motel in Macon, Ga. to ride it out. Nice to hear them & feel they should be safe 200 miles inland.

Bad news flash. Obama has already declared Florida a disaster area.   Federal & state are expecting the worst possible.

Screw the boats. Save your lives.

25 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Bad news flash. Obama has already declared Florida a disaster area.   Federal & state are expecting the worst possible.

Screw the boats. Save your lives.

That's just precautionary and we will see what happens. According to radar, the storm is heading straight for Freeport, Grand Bahama. Sad for them, but good for us...

This is a really bad storm pushing a large storm surge toward Fl. GA. SC. and NC. Boats left in the water need enough line length to survive the high tide surge.  Covered boats on the marina hard ground need to have their plugs in to allow them to float. I think there is going to be a massive loss of boats and waterfront property.  If you haven't evacuated yet do it now.

1 weather station was calling for a 9' surge.

I know people who do not even own lines 9' longer or strong enough. Hope they cut up some anchor line. Side by side boats will be bashed together.  Glad I stored early this year.

16 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

I saw that projected looping. Do they really reverse all the way and go in for a 2nd time ?

They do what they want, kind of like you!

4 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

1 weather station was calling for a 9' surge.

I know people who do not even own lines 9' longer or strong enough. Hope they cut up some anchor line. Side by side boats will be bashed together.  Glad I stored early this year.

The weather stations tend to exaggerate...earlier they had the eye about 10-15 off our coast. Now it's 100 miles away in Freeport.

I departed from Fort Myers at 4pm today. The MD88 arrived from DTW just as the first rain band was crossing through the area. The departure was fantastic as we climbed through the clouds over the Gulf. Sure wish I had a view out the front window....and get paid for it! haha.  I have family that lives in Vero Beach area and evac'd to Port St Lucie. I said to them....."Your still in the path!"  The last aviation forecast that I looked at showed 80Kts gusting to 100Kts during the morning hours.

I saw a video posted yesterday of some guys in a marina tying their boats down in the slips.  The water was crazy rough and rising fast.  No way those boats are going to survive unscathed.