Sign in to follow this  
psmorris

Batteries

I've got duel batteries on my H20 and was wondering what to do this winter. I've got enclosed storage but I probably won't have access to power and it's not heated. Should I take them out of the boat and put them someplace warmer or just leave them in. I live it Tenn so it does get cold but not like up north. 

Thousands of marinas Leave them in.  Millions are fine next spring

IF  IF   the  battery first was charged up  with a Smart Charger. Then a day later had water added to the correct level. Good until spring or eve a year later. Having a battery in a HOT engine room save builders on copper wire. But drops the water level quickly.  Batteries SHOULD NOT BE in a heated space. on a hot sunny day.  Oh well.

Pull them and keep them in a heated space, like your garage at home.

Toss a charger on them every month or two for a day.

These are cheap voltage meters that draw very little power; I keep one connected to the battery so I can see status at a glance. Dipping below 12.5 volts and I'll toss a charger on the battery for a few hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Mini-DC-0-100V-Red-LED-3-Digital-Display-Voltage-Voltmeter-Panel-Motor-/381374425176?hash=item58cbafe858:g:dtcAAOSwo8hTmvxX

10 minutes ago, e-Xtreme said:

Pull them and keep them in a heated space, like your garage at home.

Toss a charger on them every month or two for a day.

These are cheap voltage meters that draw very little power; I keep one connected to the battery so I can see status at a glance. Dipping below 12.5 volts and I'll toss a charger on the battery for a few hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Mini-DC-0-100V-Red-LED-3-Digital-Display-Voltage-Voltmeter-Panel-Motor-/381374425176?hash=item58cbafe858:g:dtcAAOSwo8hTmvxX

This is me but my garage isn't heated. But it doesn't get below freezing in there rarely either. My storage is enclosed but not heated or insulated. I bring them him and put them in a shelf off the concrete floor. Put trickle charger on it. A few days a month I turn on the charger for 24-48 hours. New boat now but last battery was 3 years old when I got it and was going strong the 4-5 winters I had it. 

I would think the first question would be. What type?? Since Phillip is not mentioning it.  Flooded, AGM or Gel. That would dictate, how to store them.

As in AGM type loose about 1 to 2% a month and temps can go down to -50 without a problem. Flooded is a whole other story!!!!!!! 

Brand new batteries sit around for 6 months or more. Winter & summer in hot & cold / freezing buildings. No anything done to them. Most are just fine.

Some of us think machines are a living thing. They are not.

Would unhooking battery cables and running a maintainer while batteries still in the boat be an issue or is that an accident waiting to happen?  

I use AGM batteries, I just disconnect all grounds and 6 months later charge them up for 5 or 10 minutes before running up the engines. They never leave the boat.

Flooded, I would take them out and put them in a garage or basement. Two reason, the more they discharge the likely hood they can freeze. The water and acid will separate. Also, to keep in eye on them. When I used flooded, I would put them on a 2amp automatic car charger. The charger was on a timer to go on for 15mins every 24hrs. I would use a automatic type as not to overcharge them.       

Do you really want to "running a maintainer while batteries still in the boat" Not knowing the setup, but I would not want to use any extension cords and running them out side. Since there on a charger too, I would want to keep an eye on them from time to time.  

You can pull the batteries, or leave them in. Your choice. Items like the radio memory will draw down the battery, even when the battery selector switch is in the "off" position, so label and disconnect the ground cable if you decide to leave them in. Monthly charging should ensure a healthy battery come Spring  

Batteries can be stored on concrete floors. Modern plastic battery cases do not provide a path to ground, so no longer a storage issue as it was when battery cases were hard rubber. But the myth continues...

brick

On flooded, non-sealed batteries. The electrolyte inside the battery is made up of about 25 percent sulfuric acid and 75 percent water. The acid interacts chemically with lead plates to create electricity, leaving mainly water in a discharged condition that is more susceptible to freezing.

So many myths out there. If you want to disconnect, carry them to the basement, wash them, give them a night light and their own personal charger you can. If you want to charge them and leave them in the cold like your car and everyother piece of machinery that runs on a 12v circuit you can. Both should keep them good for 7 + years. Neither will prolong life.

Putting them inside and not charged is worse then outside and not charged. The cold is better then your warm garage or basement. 

The cold is better then your warm garage or basement. 

I disagree, Cranking amps are the numbers of amperes a lead-acid battery at 32 degrees can deliver for 30 seconds  In other words, CCA/cold cranking amps determine how much power you have to start your car on cold winter mornings.

40 minutes ago, Iggy said:

I disagree, Cranking amps are the numbers of amperes a lead-acid battery at 32 degrees can deliver for 30 seconds  In other words, CCA/cold cranking amps determine how much power you have to start your car on cold winter mornings.

A battery has less power when cold, but holds its static charge longer at cooler temps. Storing and utilizing the available power are two different issues. 

brick

"A battery has less power when cold" Yes, sorry that was my point.

My 2c. Handling and vibration kill flooded lead acid batteries. Just fully charge the battery and disconnect the neg leads. Leave it alone. A charged battery will not freeze (at least anywhere I would live) and if the battery has no internal shorts then the charge should stay high enough all winter to keep it from freezing. If it freeze over any sane winter it will not last the coming summer.

Come next use just fully charge the battery at a 2amp rate for 24hrs before use. In my opinion battery tenders or monthly/weekly short charges don't mean much to me or the battery. However if it makes you feel better then do. Lead acid batteries die when the lead paste detaches from the lead plates and falls to the bottom of the battery until it accumulates high enough to short out the two different polarity plates in the battery cell (handling and vibration).

AGM is another beast. be careful of which charger you use on an AGM. It has to have a different ramp rate than a regular lead acid charger. 

Joe