Sign in to follow this  
hubbard

2003 280 signature Instrument lights and most gauges not working

I just bought a 2003 Chaparral 280 signature with only 140 hours.  The instrument back lights intermittently work, the RPM gauges go up and down. NO speedometer. trim indicators have issues/ short.   Is this a common problem with this year boat?  Where do I get this instrument cluster repaired?  Also, how do you work the AC and Heat?  Its equipped with a marine air passport.

You probably cannot repair those gauges.

I had that boat and same problem.

i rewired and put faria gauges in.

what happens when you turn the ac on....i am assumimg you are plugged in to shorepower.

Usually all the gauges are connected to one central grounding line. Moisture can interrupt this line and hence, all gauges start to act up.

Before you spend any money chasing new gauges, have the ground connections verified first. It might be intermittent, maybe not. If you have a vom, it's an easy way to start evaluation the problem.

I have the same year 280.  I think you may have multiple issues.  The dimmer is typically the problem with the lights. The rpm guage needs to be pulled and the two dials on the back need to be turned back and forth because of a corroded contact.  The speedo pickup in the outdrive is prob plugged. That can just be poked out with a thin wire.