Sign in to follow this  
farmer 51

FARMER 51

good morning I have a question  if someone could answer I noticed when I took my 88 198xl to fill up with fuel the filler cap up by the wind shield it has a small over flow? vent? sticking out right below when I got it full it puked out a lot down the side of the boat if your at the dock that's not cool...what do I need to do? any ideas

Make sure the vent line is clear, with no insect nests, and old hose has not collapsed. Then, you can buy a fuel whistle that sings while your are fueling and stops when it sees liquid allowing you to slow then stop flow before you get to the puke point. They are cheap, easy to install, and work really well. If you ever had a home heating oil tank, the principal is the same. Marine rated and no moving parts so they last forever. Some boats puke if filled quickly, and some don't.    I can slam gas into my 80 gallon tank, and it clicks off just like a car.    Some marinas use very high volume pumps to speed re-fueling and that can make a bad problem worse.    W

23 hours ago, farmer 51 said:

good morning I have a question  if someone could answer I noticed when I took my 88 198xl to fill up with fuel the filler cap up by the wind shield it has a small over flow? vent? sticking out right below when I got it full it puked out a lot down the side of the boat if your at the dock that's not cool...what do I need to do? any ideas

Hi Farmer,

Just a FYI to check something..... 

On my 87 198xl, one day, I experienced bad gas fumes. Found that the vent fitting which was made of pot metal had deteriorated badly right at the clamp. Might pay to check yours on the inside of the hull. Probably made the same as my 87 was. I replaced it with a stainless steel vent. It was scary for a while, all those fumes and me at the wrong end of the lake....LOL

2 hours ago, Farmer51 said:

hi rich do you mean right at the vent outlet? that is for sure pot metal so right where that is clamped on thanks rich

Yes sir. On the inside of the hull right at the clamp. The new stainless steel one that I got from Wholesale Marine also had a brass screen in it to keep bugs out.