Toddavid

Sunesta 264 w/ arch winter cover recommendations?

Had a Fisher canvas cover for my 254.  Very nice quality, but 900 deer and kind of overkill for my area, I think.  

My 264 has an arch, so not only will a Fisher be even more expensive, it will be super heavy to manage.

Was thinking of buying a shrink wrap kit, but that is over 400 deer.

Can anyone recommend a medium weight mooring cover for a 264 with arch?

Mark the cover where the arch touches and take it to a canvas shop. They will cut and hem it to fit around the the arch bases and can put a snap to fasten it to the arch base.

On 10/18/2016 at 0:42 PM, Toddavid said:

There is this cover, but insane price:  http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/mooring-cover-with-arch-264-sunesta/

When you think of how long it will last, about (10-15Years). Thats about 100 bucks a year for a nice set-up.

My travel cover was about that and its custom. 8 years old and still going down the road.

I bought a 3 sided carport and then added doors. I leave my cockpit and bow covers on. I will shrink down a pic somehow to show the set up.

I have a Westland Sharkskin cover for my 256 w/arch.  I like the cover and it was reasonable.  My only problem with it is the hem will leave rub rash on the black gelcoat.  I put foam pipe insulation around the hem but it doesn't work for trailering and is a PITA.  

15 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I have a Westland Sharkskin cover for my 256 w/arch.  I like the cover and it was reasonable.  My only problem with it is the hem will leave rub rash on the black gelcoat.  I put foam pipe insulation around the hem but it doesn't work for trailering and is a PITA.  

I found that old thread regarding Westland covers from Bald Mikes.  I sent him an email to see if they have one for my Sunesta.  I wouldn't use it for trailering, just for outside storage during the off-season.  

Do you use it for off-season storage?  I suppose I should build some wood frame supports to help it with the weight of snow?

The factory mooring cover is made by Taylor.  Yes, expensive, but worth every single penny IMHO.  You can try and save a few bucks, but you'll never get the quality and fit of that factory cover. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

With our aluminum tower, we ended up adding neoprene sleeves to the cover to wrap around the aluminum posts. They closed with velcro and work somewhat okay in keep out moisture.

If you'll be trailering, buy swim noodles and cut them into 2' pieces. Slide them onto the window frames to space the cover off the window frame.

Yeah, looks like same one that Cecil is selling, made by Commercial Sewing under the Outer Armor brand.  Wholesale Marine has them, too...  Still salty for a cover that doesn't also cover the arch...

If you want to cover the arch, I think you'll need to look at some custom work by a local shop. Get the factory cover and then go separate on the arch -- don't try and connect the two.

They may seem expensive, but there's a lot of fabric and craftsmanship that goes into those covers. Good quality fabric can go for $50/yard and up these days.

The factory covers are made from a coated nylon fabric rather than Sunbrella.  Also, hoping they fixed this, but on our 2008 where the black nylon came in contact with our white vinyl, it left a purple discoloration (which would bleach out, in time, with sun exposure).  We ended up having our local guy sew in "mouse fur" to buffer the contact areas.  Previous owner of the boat was furious about this; Chaparral was aware of the problem and recommended the mouse fur fix.

You have a high end boat.  If you care about it, get a nice cover.  When mine is stored outdoors for a period of time, I cover my covered boat with a tarp (bungee'd down well) over the whole thing.  Consider the tarp basically expendable, but it will protect your investment in the storage/mooring cover.  You can get nice tarps online in a large variety of sizes and colors.

The previous owner of my boat had this cover made as long as a cockpit cover and a custom awning.  I bet he spent 10k herds for the canvas work. I'm thankful of that. 

Boat%20Cover.jpg

URL]

18 minutes ago, Jjlai724 said:

The previous owner of my boat had this cover made as long as a cockpit cover and a custom awning.  I bet he spent 10k herds for the canvas work. I'm thankful of that. 

Boat%20Cover.jpg

URL]

Now that's a cover......

1 hour ago, Toddavid said:

I found that old thread regarding Westland covers from Bald Mikes.  I sent him an email to see if they have one for my Sunesta.  I wouldn't use it for trailering, just for outside storage during the off-season.  

Do you use it for off-season storage?  I suppose I should build some wood frame supports to help it with the weight of snow?

yes, I use mine for winter storage and outside storage in the season.  I just put it on top of my regular cockpit covers and poles.  But the wind will still cause it to chafe so that's why I use the foam

4 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

yes, I use mine for winter storage and outside storage in the season.  I just put it on top of my regular cockpit covers and poles.  But the wind will still cause it to chafe so that's why I use the foam

How does the enclosure work around the base of the arch?  Is there a zipper or velcro that pulls everything back together once installed?

I also have the 264 with snap covers and the factory mooring cover. My boat is on a lift under roof in our slip year round. I wasn't happy with either of the factory covers since they don't protect the arch, top and speakers.  I had a custom one piece cover made that goes over the top of the arch and covers the entire topside.  I use it now as my only cover and it is well worth the money.  My only complaint is I wish it went further below the rub rail than the current 8-10 inches.

14 hours ago, Toddavid said:

How does the enclosure work around the base of the arch?  Is there a zipper or velcro that pulls everything back together once installed?

It has elastic around the arch to keep it snug and velcro to keep it together.  It works pretty well but not perfect.  It also has a cord thru the hem with a ratchet on each side to tighten it.  It came with straps to tie it down to the trailer.  All in all, it is a nice cover for the money.  But like I said, it does chafe the gelcoat at the hem.

Ok, spinning in circles here.

Local canvas places don't want to get involved with modifying the Westland type covers, to provide openings and velcro around the base of the arch.  In the end, the cost with their labor would be around the same as the factory mooring cover anyway.

But I *really* don't want staining like e-Xtreme had with his factory cover, and Cecil confirms that the cover has not changed in design, which I guess means no mouse fur inside.

Fisher canvas is a tad more expensive than the factory mooring cover, won't stain, is a true winter cover and also covers the arch, but it's not a mooring design.  I wouldn't want to tow with it and deal with storage at my destination (suckers are heavy duty and heavy).

Ugh.

12 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

Local canvas places don't want to get involved with modifying the Westland type covers, to provide openings and velcro around the base of the arch.  In the end, the cost with their labor would be around the same as the factory mooring cover anyway.

But I *really* don't want staining like e-Xtreme had with his factory cover, and Cecil confirms that the cover has not changed in design, which I guess means no mouse fur inside.

Fisher canvas is a tad more expensive than the factory mooring cover, won't stain, is a true winter cover and also covers the arch, but it's not a mooring design.  I wouldn't want to tow with it and deal with storage at my destination (suckers are heavy duty and heavy).

Ugh.

How about indoor storage?

12 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

How about indoor storage?

With the 11.5" arch clearance, self storage places are not an option around here (nothing with doors that tall).  

I could have kept it at my high/dry warehouse for the winter, but they locked the doors Oct 15 and I was boating until end of December last year.  

Plus, the cost of winter enclosed high/dry storage would be 1500 deer each season.  I could buy multiple covers for that!

8 hours ago, Toddavid said:

Ugh.

The staining may have been a product of a bad dye lot of fabric, rather than the overall design of the cover itself.  

Personally, when mine wears out, I'll order another. They're that nice.  I'd likely run it over to my upholstery shop and have them add the mouse fur at contact locations; this was around 75 if I remember correctly.  I'd add the mouse fur just to provide abrasion resistance for the vinyl, regardless of the fabric bleed, if any.

I know this isn't the perfect solution for you, but unfortunately if we can't find the perfect product, we're forced to improve the best product. Just my two cents. Find a shop that will work with you to improve the factory mooring cover.

17 hours ago, Toddavid said:

Ugh.

my Westland was made for the arch.  For most models they have either option available.