Sign in to follow this  
Tlandry

winterizing 03 4.3MPI

We have an 03 Signature 280 with twin 4.3's and Bravo's.  I did the earmuff method to winterize and after running for long enough to open the thermostat and switching from water to antifreeze, I was not sold that only pink was coming out of the outdrive.  My winterizing tank had almost 4 gallons in it, but again, I was not completely confident that only antifreeze came out.  Soooo, on the 03 4.3 motor, it has the "3 point drain" system and is raw water cooled.  I tried the method of draining the block, raw water pump and opening the port on the thermostat housing.  once that was done, I pulled off the three hoses on the thermostat housing.  I poured antifreeze into the large hose until pure antifreeze came out the thermostat.  I then took the two small hoses that go from the stat housing to the manifolds.  I poured AF in them till it came out the outdrive exhaust port.  The question now is am I missing anything.  I have owned small bowriders in the past with the 3.0 merc and alpha drive and always did the muff method.  never questioned it.  I am trying to be over the top perfect in the winterization of this beast, so next spring is not a disaster.  I live in New England and it can get pretty cold.  I have watched every Utube video pertaining to pouring AF in blocks, but none of them pertain to the newer MPI's. 

Thank you in advance

I use the same method, drain water and pour antifreeze directly into the block on my Volvo. Slightly different, but same basic principle. You should be good.