Mi3sons

2016 deer season

29 posts in this topic

The time is upon us again, keep us posted with any good hunting stories , record deer or totally outrageous follies you may and likely will encounter. 

Been getting some of my gear together today.  Leave Friday for deer camp, hopefully for the full 10 days, work permitting.  Love the anticipation.  Got a doe last month in our crossbow season, so I'm looking for headgear this time around.  Usually don't care about that.

I was out a couple of weeks ago for bow season.  Got out to the tree stand before twilight, and set my bow down (I have a holder that holds several arrows attached to the bow).  I strapped my harness lanyard to the safety wrap on the tree and climbed up.  Got all set and waited for sun rise.  About a half hour after sun rise a 6 point buck walked up to my tree.  I pull back and BOING, arrow falls out?!?!?!  When I set my bow down, I got dirt in the nock of all three arrows I had so the arrow didn't seat in the string.  The buck didn't see me, just meandered around and took off.  He was out of range before I could get another shot.  Later the same day a nice size doe came down the trail.  I was all set,  having cleaned the arrows.  Just as I go to pull back, two fawns come out after her.  Not sure if she was the mom or not, but I don't think my wife or 13yo daughter would let me live it down if I killed mom in front of her kids.  I shot her with my phone, I'll see if I can get the pictures posted.  Haven't been out since.  Bow season ends this week, so may go out in the morning.

27 minutes ago, Roady68 said:

I was out a couple of weeks ago for bow season.  Got out to the tree stand before twilight, and set my bow down (I have a holder that holds several arrows attached to the bow).  I strapped my harness lanyard to the safety wrap on the tree and climbed up.  Got all set and waited for sun rise.  About a half hour after sun rise a 6 point buck walked up to my tree.  I pull back and BOING, arrow falls out?!?!?!  When I set my bow down, I got dirt in the nock of all three arrows I had so the arrow didn't seat in the string.  The buck didn't see me, just meandered around and took off.  He was out of range before I could get another shot.  Later the same day a nice size doe came down the trail.  I was all set,  having cleaned the arrows.  Just as I go to pull back, two fawns come out after her.  Not sure if she was the mom or not, but I don't think my wife or 13yo daughter would let me live it down if I killed mom in front of her kids.  I shot her with my phone, I'll see if I can get the pictures posted.  Haven't been out since.  Bow season ends this week, so may go out in the morning.

Hey Roady ive been meaning to ask if you are a snowmobiler also.

52 minutes ago, Mi3sons said:

Hey Roady ive been meaning to ask if you are a snowmobiler also.

Nope, not a big snowmobiler.  A friend of mine has a couple and I will go out with him once in a while but I don't own one.  I am not very fond of winter so I usually hibernate in the garage working on my cars all winter.  Its nice having a garage with radiant floor heating. 

11 minutes ago, Roady68 said:

Nope, not a big snowmobiler.  A friend of mine has a couple and I will go out with him once in a while but I don't own one.  I am not very fond of winter so I usually hibernate in the garage working on my cars all winter.  Its nice having a garage with radiant floor heating. 

Ok, I see there is another Roady on a snowmobile site I visit in upstate NY.

We have two deer coolers/processors within 10 miles of the house. They sell venison that does not get picked up after processing. 

It costs less and I always bring home venison when I go.

I used to hunt and fish all the time. But now since they built the Piggly Wiggly I don't find the need any longer.

However that does not mean I don't have hunting stories.

As a teenager in Arkansas my cousin and I decided to hunt wild boar.

We found one. Shot him in the head with my 30-30 and really pissed him off. He came after us with that I'm gonna kill you look and we went up a tree. He was mad and kept us in that tree for hours and hours. 

After he finally left we climbed down picked up our rifles and decided we would be real careful on our way home. Neither of us had the courage to tell our grandfather about this, it was after all quite embarrassing.

Joe

Michigan Rifle season starts on the 15th.  Was up last weekend preping and headed back up for the opener.  25 th year in a row in the same spot.  I've made all the opening days.  After this year I think I'm going to retire and let the boys take over.  I've had the privilege of the being with me the past 10 years.  They both hunted with me until they were comfortable to be on their own.  I'm taking my Dads .35 to use just because it was the first rifle I used. I will continue to bow hunt and muzzleloader hunt as I like those seasons better. I will hang out at camp and be the Cook and enjoy the time spent with friends and family.  

8 hours ago, Brian S said:

Michigan Rifle season starts on the 15th.  Was up last weekend preping and headed back up for the opener.  25 th year in a row in the same spot.  I've made all the opening days.  After this year I think I'm going to retire and let the boys take over.  I've had the privilege of the being with me the past 10 years.  They both hunted with me until they were comfortable to be on their own.  I'm taking my Dads .35 to use just because it was the first rifle I used. I will continue to bow hunt and muzzleloader hunt as I like those seasons better. I will hang out at camp and be the Cook and enjoy the time spent with friends and family.  

nail on the head.  That's what it's about.  Great post.  Enjoy deer camp!

Any hunters in North Ga this coming weekend please be careful. My brother in law will be hunting there.;)

Joe

Well, it's the 22nd and rifle season opened last weekend. bow opened two weeks prior so we've been spending a lot of time in the stands.

I've managed to bring home one buck but he's nothing to write home about. he did make good jerky though!

Our next schedule sit will be thanksgiving morning, then that Friday, Saturday and Sunday. pretty much all day every day. We have a nice 14pt running around our property that we had nicely patterned until opening day. We got a chance at him the day before with the bow, but I just couldn't bring him in past 40 yards, so I held off as I'm not 100% confident at that range with the bow.

I managed a small nine pointer.  Had a great time!  It was 80 degrees one afternoon, and 20 degrees couple of mornings later, with wind all the while.  Tough conditions, and a burn ban to boot so no camp fires.  Enjoyed my time in the woods and fields, and with my friends.

No deer on first day but had a coyote come out of a brush lot 20 yards in front of me. Couldn't see my driver so didn't take a shot but it hauled butt out of there.

2 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

+1

+2. Yup. Everyone we see gets it. 

I was was able to get a 8 point :).  Weather to warm,  had fun and enjoyed the time spent with my boys and other family/friends.  

IMG_4289.JPG

I got a decent 10 pt the last weekend archery season. First kill with a crossbow. As an avid archer, I never thought I would say this but they are awesome weapons when dialed in right. Will be back out in muzzleloader season next weekend to try and find a doe.

Love my crossbow!  Only two doe taken with it so far but very accurate.  First at 30 yds, other at 62 yds.  Both through and through shots.

On 11/12/2016 at 9:49 AM, Baum's aweigh said:

Do we need to be careful we don't shoot him or is he apt to shoot us by accident?  Just asking.

He is so small I doubt you would be shooting him. He is shorter than the average doe.

But he just got a new rifle and against mine and everyone else's advice he headed into the woods without ever putting a round through it. If he sees a deer he might hit an airplane.

Joe

Going out tomorrow morning, don't know how much trudging around in a foot of snow with freezing rain in the forecast but got to give it a go. I'll take my 44 to keep things light.