Mi3sons

2016 deer season

29 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Futzin' said:

...not sure why folks insist on taking shots on animals with untested weapons and non-zeroed scopes...

1 hour ago, Mi3sons said:

Makes it dangerous for everyone in the area

That is the reason I even posted anything about him. He was not the brightest bean in the bag before he had a couple of strokes.

EVERYONE asked, told, begged and recommended him go to the local range and sight in the scope and practice some. HARD HEADED, flat refused.

We called his stepson that was taking him. Jason understood and said he would "Make sure" he did not see anything to shoot at. He got back home yesterday complaining he didn't even see a deer so I guess Jason did good.

When you are 66yrs old with a couple of strokes under your belt, family just kind of holds your hand and protects you from yourself. He has been trying to go hunting for the last couple of years with his stepson but until this year we had been able avoid an actual hunting trip. Now that he has gone we plan to take his "Barney Bullet" away.

Joe

My comment wasn't really intended toward an un-zeroed rifle leading to putting people in danger; more so that missing your shot at the animal, or creating a wounded animal.  Zeroed or not, a person should be able to tell the difference between a deer and a person wearing blaze orange.  Physical limitations are a different matter.

Good for you guys for keeping a close eye on that situation.

9 hours ago, Futzin' said:

My comment wasn't really intended toward an un-zeroed rifle leading to putting people in danger; more so that missing your shot at the animal, or creating a wounded animal.  Zeroed or not, a person should be able to tell the difference between a deer and a person wearing blaze orange.  Physical limitations are a different matter.

I'm with you on that. I have popped a scope on a gun and not been able to hit a sheet of plywood at 50 yards. Multiply that over a mile and your quite far off.

10 hours ago, Futzin' said:

You try your best to humor old guys that have a dream. He has been wanting to go deer hunting with his stepson for years. All he talked about. So we kind of "Arranged" it without his knowledge to keep him and everyone else as safe as possible and let him have his day.

He came home complaining they did not even see a deer but he had a great time anyway. Looks like it all worked out.

Joe