Comparing engines in a 2006 Chap 290 Signature

Help please! Newbie here and looking to purchase my first cruiser and a Chap. 

Essentially similarly equipped boats of the 2006 290 Signature are near me. One has Volvo-Penta 5.0 GXI-FSX 270 hp each whereas the other has the Volvo 4.3 OSi-F 220 hp each. This boat will primarily be used for day trips of 2 to 6 people and overnight / weekends with 2 to 4 people. We don't plan to do any water towing sports. 

Any recommendations on which is the better suited engine in this boat?

Thanks so much! Once I decide and purchase I'll update the forum!

No thinking needed.

Follow The Great Escapes advice & some of mine added to it

Do not even think about a boat that could have the XDP drives.   Everyone will lie about how good the ones in the boat are.  Logically ? 

They are patched up just enough to sound & run O K.......................  DO NOT CONSIDER THEM !!

That boat NEEDS the BIGGER 5.0 engines. Will run so much quietter when cruising. The 2 .....5.0s will loaf along & should get better mileage as a result.  Especially with tons of people & food for long cruises..

Do you see a COMMON  severe WARNING about any boat with the XDP drives ??   Get a marine surveyor & a good mechanic to verify that NEITHER boat has XDP drives..........EVEN just 1 XDP drive.  you must not screw up on being SURE BOTH DRIVES are NOT XDP  !!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT use anyone with connections or working for the place selling the boats.

As a previous owner of this boat, it does not need 5.0 engines.

It would be preferable as there are very few aftermarket parts for the 4.3.

For similar money go with the 5.0 engines.

Get a good mechanic to go over over them, if the 4.3 engines are in better condition, they will be fine.

I never had a problem getting the boat to plane out with 6 people.

XDP drives....go elsewheres.

Check the drives before you do anything else, It is pretty obvious if they are xdp's, you dont need to pay a mechanic for tht.

Good luck!

23 minutes ago, jeffk said:

As a previous owner of this boat, it does not need 5.0 engines.

It would be preferable as there are very few aftermarket parts for the 4.3.

For similar money go with the 5.0 engines.

Get a good mechanic to go over over them, if the 4.3 engines are in better condition, they will be fine.

I never had a problem getting the boat to plane out with 6 people.

XDP drives....go elsewheres.

Check the drives before you do anything else, It is pretty obvious if they are xdp's, you dont need to pay a mechanic for tht.

Good luck!

agreed when it comes to used boats you buy the best boat for the money.  those 5.0s will not act that much differently than the 4.3s, they just wont, its hogwash to think eitherwise.  Now if you were comparing 7.4s or 8.1s to the 4.3s than sure.  again as I said earlier you buy the best boat and most power for the money, if they are par, buy the bigger engine, easy. 

I debated between the 4.3 and the 5.0 and ended up going with the 4.3 because the performance difference was minimal, fuel burn is lower, maintenance is SLIGHTLY lower, and the price was a little lower.  I've been extremely happy with the 4.3s and never once have I said "I wish I went with the bigger engines."  It's a 10k lb boat...you're not going to race around the water in it.  I still cruise at 30 mph comfortable with the V6s.

1 hour ago, brick said:

And XDP drives are plastic, so very easy to identify. 

Boats with XDP drives can be fixed by replacing the drives and transom shields with non-XDP drives. Figure $15 K EACH...

brick

yeah good point you could do that for sure, if you got the boat priced right.  I think 15k each is high, but that's factoring in OEM pricings, at an OEM shop,  I think you could still get new OEM parts and find a mom and pop marine shop to do it for closer to 12 with brand new.  Bunt in reality remaned or used drives can be easily be found for 2-4k each, with parts a smart shopper could easily get them both done for 10-12k

I have the 310 now.

Same LOA. I went for the 5.0 with the hardtop and a generator, I wanted a little more oomph.

It is a bit quicker even though it weighs more.

It jumps on plane real fast.

I would have gone 5.7 but the price was ridiculous.

Maybe the weight of the boat has something to do with it? Ya think?

A hundred horsepower pushing at least 500 probably closer to a thousand more pounds, not going to be much of a difference.

What does a marina have to do with boat performance?

23 minutes ago, jeffk said:

Maybe the weight of the boat has something to do with it? Ya think?

A hundred horsepower pushing at least 500 probably closer to a thousand more pounds, not going to be much of a difference.

What does a marina have to do with boat performance?

Not that much weight difference.

Volvo 5.0 GXI is 1,001 pounds

http://www.boattest.com/oem/3211316/engines/230016/0/off

Volvo 4.3 GXI is 922 pounds

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Volvo-Penta/220016_4-3GXi-(225-hp)

Really, what about the hardtop and the generator.

Lets go more I have a motorized back transom.

The forward berth has a motorized front.

There are 3 deep cycle batteries instead of two.

I guarantee you all in close to a thousand pounds.

From experience I can tell you, the top end is not that different.

I do pop up on plane quicker.

The 4.3 engines on that boat are not a deal breaker.

lets move on.

oh yeah one more thing..GO GIANTS!

7 hours ago, jeffk said:

Really, what about the hardtop and the generator.

Lets go more I have a motorized back transom.

The forward berth has a motorized front.

There are 3 deep cycle batteries instead of two.

I guarantee you all in close to a thousand pounds.

From experience I can tell you, the top end is not that different.

I do pop up on plane quicker.

The 4.3 engines on that boat are not a deal breaker.

lets move on.

oh yeah one more thing..GO GIANTS!

Calm down, I thought you were just talking about the weight difference from the motors.  My bad

160 pounds will not affect the total weight of the boat & load at the stern planning area.  The added 100 hp will affect 1/2 & fully loaded fuel consumption.  Bigger engines can get better mileage than  smaller, harder working motors. Sound levels appear lower with bigger, slower engine turning rpms.

Unfortunately we would need something like the boat powered with both engines & different amounts of loads in it. Full fuel tanks. Water tanks. Toys. Food & drinks. Bedding & clothes.          As more weight is added. The larger 5.0 s look & are better. When we do 17 people on the cruiser hp is nice.

I own a SIG270 with twin 4.3's.

Do a lot of overnights, tend to have a lot of gear on board, plus a Zodiac and outboard.

NO issues with power or fuel consumption as long as you learn how to run it properly. I always see cruisers off plane and running at 25mph getting crappy fuel consumption. Unless you are putt putt in a round the hull needs to be on plane.

The GM V6 engines are solid and have a good track record.

Your not towing tubes or skiers so IMHO the 4.3 should be fine.

I cheap and easy upgrade is to go to an RV supply store and get some sound insulation and beef it up in the engine compartment. For 50 deer you will see a noticeable lessening of noise when cruising on plane. Also id you have rod holders they are open noise ports as well.

I boat on a big lake. If you are dealing with the open ocean then the extra power might bail you out sometime if you get caught in a storm with swells. Other than that its a coin toss.

Lastly XDP drives are a deal breaker. they will only get more expensive to replace/fix over time as they are a discontinued item.

Peace