Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Powerfader

parts identification

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if parts put on an engine will have some sort of identifying serial number and if so where are they located, for a Volvo' penta fuel pump, starter, computer. I am trying to gather evidence to sue the marina that cheated me on their repair services.

Google image search is your friend ...

The ECU has a visible label with its serial number and other data. I have seen the label on my ECU. Depending on your model, it could look like this ...
volvo%20penta%20egc%20ecu%20marine%20388

The fuel pump most likely has the label with serial number. I think I saw one on my pump, and it looked like this ...

vol21608512.jpg

I am afraid you might not find a serial number on the starter. I have not noticed any serial number, just part number on the label. If you are lucky, there seem to be a manufacturing date stamped on some of them ...

6792N-OEM_1.jpg

Thanks for the info. My mechanic is coming out today and am going to ask him if can verify some of these parts. If I can prove he swindled me, then we go to court.

I called Carter and Volvo Penta for information as to date of manufacture of my fuel pump: they could tell me.

Her are the numbers on my pump;

Carter

P61639S     21608511

SAE J1171 Marine

16A08B    (don't know whether the number is a zero, or the letter O)

I am trying to ascertain the date of manufacture of the pump so I can nail these lying thieves!

Thanks,

Get this, the marina was sold and is now under new ownership. I'm afraid my quest for justice just took a mighty set back.

But I did run into the service manager at a dockside bar. Guess what he docked at the bar, a brand new 38' Cigarette with all the extras. At least I know that some of my money went to good use. He could have just wasted it on women and drugs.