Sign in to follow this  
Tlandry

Motor maintenance

First season down with my 2003 sig 280 and am diving into maintenance.  just replaced the cap and rotors to find they were original with 500 hours.  unbelievable I didnt have issues.  also figured out the secret to removing the flame arrestors for cleaning, thank God cause they were plugged.

Anyway, I'd like to change out the plugs, but they are iridium and 13 bucks a piece. Are they worth it? do they last longer?  I'll change them every year for 3 bucks each, but 13 seems like you should get more time out of them.

Btw, I have merc 4.3's with Bravos.

Thanks

If the plugs are original with 500 hours I would think it would be a good idea to change them. At a minimum pull a few and look at them.

You should be able to cross reference those plugs and find them much cheaper elsewhere. I think I paid about $5/a plug for mine and they were iridium.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

What about the oil and fuel filters?

I couldnt tell, but I have done the proper winterization with fogging and replaced filters and oil.

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

If the plugs are original with 500 hours I would think it would be a good idea to change them. At a minimum pull a few and look at them.

I pulled a few. they are not bad looking except some rust on the outer part.  it tellse they aren't new, they are what the manual says to install, but again, iridiums are new to me. 

Did you correctly drain all the water out from all the drain plugs ?  Drive is vertical ? Did you check the Bravo oil for water ?  Brown color.  Change if needed.   Apply a battery charger to top off the unit. Better buy a GREAT  SMART charger. They will maintain the battery to prevent Lead Sulphate thru the winter.  Acid battery ?  Checked battery water level ?  After a recharge ?  assuming a bilge float switch ?  Just turn the big battery switch to    OFF.  Done ?

That is about it for nasty surprise next spring.

18 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Did you correctly drain all the water out from all the drain plugs ?  Drive is vertical ? Did you check the Bravo oil for water ?  Brown color.  Change if needed.   Apply a battery charger to top off the unit. Better buy a GREAT  SMART charger. They will maintain the battery to prevent Lead Sulphate thru the winter.  Acid battery ?  Checked battery water level ?  After a recharge ?  assuming a bilge float switch ?  Just turn the big battery switch to    OFF.  Done ?

That is about it for nasty surprise next spring.

Drained blocks, filled with antifreeze through thermostat.

Replaced drive fluid in both drives with new drain and vent gaskets, although fluid looked new.

Bought adapter to keep her plugged in all winter. on board Pro Mariner smart charger will keep them topped up.

I'm digging deep on all maintenance items so I know exactly where I stand.  I'm finding the previous owner wasn't as truthful as I thought.  as great as twins are, they are absolutely twice the cost.....

18 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

If it`s a GM motor , MR43LTS will work just fine.

It is, Are those NGK?

2 hours ago, Tlandry said:

Drained blocks, filled with antifreeze through thermostat.

Replaced drive fluid in both drives with new drain and vent gaskets, although fluid looked new.

Bought adapter to keep her plugged in all winter. on board Pro Mariner smart charger will keep them topped up.

I'm digging deep on all maintenance items so I know exactly where I stand.  I'm finding the previous owner wasn't as truthful as I thought.  as great as twins are, they are absolutely twice the cost.....

I never had the opportunity to date twins but I would definitely expect they would be twice the cost and hopefully twice the fun !!!!  :rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, ColdOne said:

I never had the opportunity to date twins but I would definitely expect they would be twice the cost and hopefully twice the fun !!!!  :rolleyes:

:lol:

I am pretty sure there is even a more recent Service Bulletin.  My 350 Mag now uses a NGK Iridium plug.  Found them on eBay for less than 1/2 of the Merc price like maybe $7.50 each a while back.

Bennett

I have found no difference in performance between the spark plugs. I believe the change was made because that what GM puts in the auto motors. Considering there auto blocks to begin with and equipped with marine components.

The biggest impact is to your wallet.