Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Fun

December 7

9 posts in this topic

We must always be prepared to defend this great country, God Bless our military.

0EADE466-2782-4B50-809F-126EEE06CD04_zps

On this subject, there was a very good show airing a couple nights ago on the History channel showing that Admiral Kimmel, who was the Navy commander for Pearl at the time of the attack, may have been made a scapegoat for the attack. Now I know that hindsight is always 20/20 but there was some very clear information in Washington of a pending Japanese attack and that Pearl was a target.  

Apparently the fear of letting Japan know that we had broken their secret transmission code, along with infighting between the Army, Navy and White House and the ego`s involved failed to inform Kimmel that an attack was pending and to be prepared. It is sad that this man was drummed out of the Navy and personally ruined because of a lack of communication.

Just think what could have been if the pending attack information was shared early enough so that we could have been prepared. Ships could have been out at sea, being much harder to hit. Our planes could have been in the air defending the base and possibly even attacking the Japanese carriers. Ground anti aircraft batteries manned and deployed.

Hopefully thru this tragedy we have learned a lesson. God bless the men of the greatest generation.

I wonder if Pearl Harbor was attacked and we knew it and defended it would the American people support WWII in the same way?  would we have just defended our interests and not gone into the war?  at that time, the US was isolationists and just supporting the Allies through embargos.  Japan attacked and the rest is history.  

I wonder the same thing about the trade center terrorist attack.  if we stopped it, but knew about the detailed plans and avoided the thousands of deaths would the American people support going after terrorism or continue to treat it as an annoying gnat that occasionally scores a hit?  

both events galvanized our country and i cannot believe that the rest of the world never learns what happens when you "poke the bear"

To the above:

Some historians would say that the Government knew of the on coming attack. They wanted a catalyst.  My point is every attack/case is different and must be handled in different ways. But If it happened again, I believe yes, that the country would come to the call.

My father and father-in-law were in both WWII and Korea. What they saw and went though!! Well...........there not called the Greatest Generation for nothing.  They both came back scared for life. My heart goes out to anyone in combat, my god watch over them.

War is ugly and must be avoided, but there is also a time to fight!  

There is no doubt that the "sudden, undeclared" attack galvanized the country that was very much isolationist at that time. We wanted blood.  Germany`s declaration of war against us on the 12th fueled the sentiment also.

I would just have hated to have been one of the lives sacraficed in an effort to "catalyize" the rest of the country.

4 hours ago, Chap243 said:

On this subject, there was a very good show airing a couple nights ago on the History channel showing that Admiral Kimmel, who was the Navy commander for Pearl at the time of the attack, may have been made a scapegoat for the attack. Now I know that hindsight is always 20/20 but there was some very clear information in Washington of a pending Japanese attack and that Pearl was a target. 

We could have ended up with the Kimmel Class Carriers. Nimitz sounds tougher, must be the Z at the end.  :scratchchin:

7 hours ago, Chap243 said:

On this subject, there was a very good show airing a couple nights ago on the History channel showing that Admiral Kimmel, who was the Navy commander for Pearl at the time of the attack, may have been made a scapegoat for the attack. 

Shocking, our government would never lie!

0726-vasta.jpg

Screenshot-3_HonoluluAdvertiser.png

On 12/7/2016 at 10:22 AM, Chap243 said:

Apparently the fear of letting Japan know that we had broken their secret transmission code, along with infighting between the Army, Navy and White House and the ego`s involved failed to inform Kimmel that an attack was pending and to be prepared. It is sad that this man was drummed out of the Navy and personally ruined because of a lack of communication.

Just think what could have been if the pending attack information was shared early enough so that we could have been prepared. Ships could have been out at sea, being much harder to hit. Our planes could have been in the air defending the base and possibly even attacking the Japanese carriers. Ground anti aircraft batteries manned and deployed.

Hopefully thru this tragedy we have learned a lesson. God bless the men of the greatest generation.

A US War ship sunk a Japanese mini sub 1 1/2 hrs before the attack right out side of Pearl Harbor. Now, perhaps they didn't know it was a Japanese sub, but they knew it wasn't a US sub. Should have raised a warning. Seems a little bit fishy

56 minutes ago, cjm13905 said:

A US War ship sunk a Japanese mini sub 1 1/2 hrs before the attack right out side of Pearl Harbor. Now, perhaps they didn't know it was a Japanese sub, but they knew it wasn't a US sub. Should have raised a warning. Seems a little bit fishy

See my news articles above and combine that with the oil embargo, radar hit, and a few other anomalies like the carriers being out to sea.