Bull Trout

Blue sea add a battery. Whos done it?

15 posts in this topic

Im Looking to install the blue sea add a battery and i have a couple things I'm  still not clear about after reviewing other threads.  I don't know exactly how many amps my Volvo penta 5.0 is pushing but  I'm assuming 65ish?  where and what size/type of in line fuses/ thermal breakers have others used and what gauge wire.  thanks yall

I would not do it. This has been talked about before so many times. Some boaters love it, but I don't like the fact you don't have full control over it.

First off, you can not start your engine on ether battery alone and the cost. I would install a simple dual battery setup and to take it a step farther. Add a battery combiner so both batteries can charge up at the same time

It's a ford v chevy question.  I've done it and love it.  Absolutely no management needed and both batteries are always charged up.  If you have a batter issue like a failed one, then you can still get home buy joining batteries in parallel which will get you home.

Some boaters want full control of their batteries which is fine, but those solutions require management from you.

3 hours ago, Bull Trout said:

I don't know exactly how many amps my Volvo penta 5.0 is pushing but  I'm assuming 65ish?

Well under the capacity of the 7610 ACR and 0611 switch.

3 hours ago, Bull Trout said:

where and what size/type of in line fuses/ thermal breakers have others used

5A fuse in a capped inline fuse holder on the ACR's coil ground control circuit. 

I added a 2nd battery and a selector switch. Completely manual. Effective and simple. I also have an on-board 2-bank charger that keeps everything topped up between outings. 

brick

Wires 1 and 6 need a breaker.   there's a lot varying opinions on this one.   1 Post I read said they used 80 amps on both.   wire 8 needs a 10 amp fuse.  thoughts? Thanks 

_20161212_161853.JPG

A friend helped me install mine in the spring of 2015. He's  a engine mechanic and electrician. I can't give you the wire size etc.

I usually sit on the hook for four  to six hours with the radio on.  No problems so far. 

4 minutes ago, edreg104 said:

A friend helped me install mine in the spring of 2015. He's  a engine mechanic and electrician. I can't give you the wire size etc.

I usually sit on the hook for four  to six hours with the radio on.  No problems so far. 

Wires and fuses?! that would be great,  thanks.  what size engine do u have?

2 hours ago, Bull Trout said:

Wires 1 and 6 need a breaker.   there's a lot varying opinions on this one.   1 Post I read said they used 80 amps on both.   wire 8 needs a 10 amp fuse.  thoughts? Thanks 

_20161212_161853.JPG

Hopefully #1 already has some form of circuit protection as its your helm BUS and was already there. it will not change with the addition of the switch and ACR, just where it draws its voltage from.

#6 and #3 do not need circuit protection if the ACR is close to and wired to, the switch and not the batteries. 

2 hours ago, Bull Trout said:

1 Post I read said they used 80 amps on both.

Maybe but this depends on the cable length and gauge and potential load. 

Have you called Blue Sea?

One of the reasons I went with Chaparral is their factory electrical panel install.  With 2 batteries, there's an on/off switch for the engine, on/off switch for the house and an emergency combiner along with a DVSR.  Any other brand that didn't have this set up, I would have needed to install post-delivery.

I have the Volvo 5.0. My friend brought all the hardware I needed, wire, crimping tool, shrink wrap, etc. Hardware was about 70 deer, plus cost of the switch. So somewhere around 2 small herds. + dinner and refreshments. Took about two hours to install.

I used the automatic charging relay (SI-ACR #7610) from Blue Sea Systems as part of adding a second battery to my 2009 196 SSi. I also swapped out the stock Blue Sea battery switch with their Dual Circuit Plus m-series switch #6011. I did the load-side install and added appropriate spark proof 100 Amp circuit breakers between the ACR and Dual switch.

The install was not really difficult at all but take time and make your own appropriately sized cables with heavy heat shrink to tidy things up a bit.

For pics see:

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/33885-blue-sea-systems-acr-wiring/#comment-365163