Lightningtruck

Lakes Near Boston

15 posts in this topic

Hi Y'all.

Looking like there's  a good chance we will be attending a wedding next summer (late July) in Boston.  For that trip, I'm thinking about renting a house for a week, and maybe find a good lake within a couple hours' drive and take the boat (220 SSi).  We primarily cruise and yank a tube around with our teenage boys.  

Anybody have a suggestion on where to go, and why?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kevin

20 hours ago, Lightningtruck said:

Hi Y'all.

Looking like there's  a good chance we will be attending a wedding next summer (late July) in Boston.  For that trip, I'm thinking about renting a house for a week, and maybe find a good lake within a couple hours' drive and take the boat (220 SSi).  We primarily cruise and yank a tube around with our teenage boys.  

Anybody have a suggestion on where to go, and why?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kevin

Sebago Lake and Lake Winnepsaukee are the big ones here. They are both roughly 2 hours from Boston. However if you want closer, I recommend Lake Webster aka: Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg. (On CT border). It isn't big like Winnipesaukee or Sebago but it is big enough for a weekend of fun IMO

Webster is a bit small for cruising though, you might get bored  

I would recommend Sebago though if you are ok with driving 2 hours. I am biased because that's where our house is lol, but here are my reasons:

1)Much less congestion because it is such a vast lake. Lots of room to tube, fish, etc. 

2)Very very deep (avg 100ft)  and very few rocks to hit. Great for cruising. You can cruise the perimeter for probably a couple hours just exploring. Winni which has lots of rocks and things to hit (at least that is what I am told by my family who has a boat on the lake) 

3) You can take a day trip through a river and a lock to get to another huge lake. Then you can dock at the public dock and eat lunch, shop, etc, (you could rent on this lake but it would be another hour drive). 

4) Very clean water- the city of Portland drinks from it ( I think Winni is clean too though) 

I will be honest, Winni has more to do on the shoreline, but if boating is what you want, I highly suggest Sebago.  

Pm me if you want more info  

Happy searching! 

There is always Boston Harbor and there islands. You also have Salem Harbor and Plymouth Harbor too. ALL full of history and a few restaurants with docks.   Most ramp have a 5 dollar launch fee and beat driving 2 hours and 2 hours back. There is nothing like going up the Charles River at night over looking Boston & Cambridge.   

I will be bias to Lake Winni since that where I boat. Great water, great amenities and beautiful location. I have boated on Sebago as well. Great Lake as well. Not as much to do on shore. Your size Chap will be ok to trailer in on Sebago. It's more difficult for something over 25 ft.

Lake Winni is better for trailering in my opinion.

Rentals are not cheap on either Lake...

Thanks guys for all the information! This is all very good, plenty to chew on. We're pretty early in planning right now, so I have no clue what we're going to do, but this certainly helps.   I'm assuming we will have a big family discussion over Christmas dinner. :)

Have a merry Christmas, y'all!

Kevin

Just thought of some others: Ossippee Lake in NH is nice. But it is farther than Winni so It would only make sense if you don't want a very large lake. Also Great East lake on the border between ME and NH. 

Little Sebago is a nice lake as well if you don't want huge. But there are many more islands and obstructions. 

Another idea if you want salt: Gloucester to Portland ME would be an interesting journey-  Portland has a pretty friendly harbor IMO. only go ocean if you have the proper equipment however (VHF, chart plotter,etc ) 

Just a word to the wise. You have an open bow boat. My point is, here in N.E. the weather can change very quickly. Even on a very claim day, the waves can reach 6 to 12" depending were you are. Now that a claim!  You will need to monitor the marine weather very closely! Salt water boating is very different than lake boating. We have tides and currents that can get very tricky at times.     

Lake Sunapee in NH (about 2 hrs from Boston) is awesome. I haul my 2550 SX up there occasionally (about 5 hrs from my home in NY) and is always a good time.

On 12/17/2016 at 7:56 PM, Lightningtruck said:

Hi Y'all.

Thanks!

Kevin

What tow vehicle do you have? are you sure you want to lug a boat all the way up here?

Thanks everyone for the input. Sorry for my slow reply. Things of been kind of crazy here for the past few months and I don't have a lot of down time.

We had a change of plans, and will just do a quick trip up to Boston without the boat this time. I'm going to file all of this away for future reference.   Always fun to find new places to boat!

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer so far.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey Pops or anyone? Have a recommendations for a good boat ramp at lake Sunapee and Winnepissaukie and overnight accommodations close by?

On 7/1/2017 at 8:27 AM, Greg@ultimate said:

Hey Pops or anyone? Have a recommendations for a good boat ramp at lake Sunapee and Winnepissaukie and overnight accommodations close by?

You might have better luck starting your own thread. 

We rent a house for a week by Sunapee harbor and launch at the public launch in the harbor.