Ice in bilge

Today I checked my boat that was winterized by someone else. The bilge plug was still in the boat and there was solid ice in the bilge. The ise is only an inch or two deep, not impeding any inlets or the engine. I took the bilge plug out in hopes that if we do get a thaw the ice will melt and the water will flow out.

Should I be concerned about the ice? Will it do damage?

ALL GOOD storage places REMOVE the transom drain plug & put it in a plastic bag with the ignition key on the dash board.    Good grief.

ALL GOOD Marinas always check if the plug is in tightly before moving it to water.  Some DIYs forget when doing winter work.

I would be concerned that he bilge pump could be damaged due to the ice forces on the impeller. You can't easily see this part because it's inside the pump. Like Mikeofwarr said, see if it works in the spring. I would test it by running a garden hose in the bilge and make sure the pump turns itself on and ejects the water overboard. As Richard W said, I too wonder what else they missed during winter lay up.

Seems to me if there was enough water in the bilge to damage the impeller on the bilge pump, the pump would  have kicked on during the winterization process and pumped out enough water to get it below the impeller level.

Mine was winterized on a lift, so it wasn't practical to remove the plug. We ran the bilge pump until it wouldn't pull anymore water out, but there was still an inch or so in the lowest area of the bilge. I wouldn't have worried about it, but since I'm a bit anal, I got my shop vac and sucked out just about all the remaining water.

There is something to remember about ice in a computer controlled bilge pump. Rule computer bilge pumps or computer controlled pumps of other makes.

They WILL START a test run about every 2 minutes. If no resistance is felt ? It shuts off in a second.   If resistance is felt ?  It will apply FULL VOLTAGE TO THE MOTOR until the pumping resistance drops to a very low current.   So there is a need to ALWAYS KEEP the bilge pump impellor free of ice.  Variations do exist about pump protection from jammed pumps.  Rules do NOT pump below the impellor.