BoatingSam

When do you hope to have the boat back in?

36 posts in this topic

Ice fishing.

I watched too many Florida fishing t v shows.

Wife said GO !!  Stop moaning.

Our marina is ready to go by April but I consider myself lucky if my drives are wet any day in April. It's usually the beginning-middle of may by the time the inevitable spring work is done and we are de-winterized and ready to cruise. 

I'm hoping for mid to late March.  Last boat ride was early December.  It's been a mild winter and I no longer do a formal winterization, I only drain the block, manifolds, & Porto potty for occasional winter freeze.  I no longer fog engine and rarely treat fuel, for a 3 month lay up.  My brother is still boating with his outboard, but he likes fishing and duck hunts off his lake.

I saw ice in the river today.  Looks like from NOAA that the cold temperature snap this week added some ice cover to Lake Erie.  Of course, warm temperatures coming later this week.  I am still hopeful for an early launch provided I can get all my work done on the boat.

56 minutes ago, Roady68 said:

I saw ice in the river today.  Looks like from NOAA that the cold temperature snap this week added some ice cover to Lake Erie.  Of course, warm temperatures coming later this week.  I am still hopeful for an early launch provided I can get all my work done on the boat.

You've got that right! My mother in law lives on the lake, and she just sent me a picture this morning. Where there was no ice at all a week ago is now a solid cold pack at least 40-50' out from shore. Gross.

I know this thread does not apply to me but I have installed ball valves on my block and manifold and it works just great for here. I take it out and bring it back, open the ball valves and lower the drive. Close the ball valves and take her out again. Drilled holes in the ends of the valve handles and made me a tool to reach the valves by just opening the hatch. SO Far it has worked great, fast and easy. Then again we only got down to 26 deg overnight and will not get lower than that for more than a hour or two. This makes it almost as easy as an outboard. I know it would be a disaster at 6 deg daytime highs but here it works pretty good so far.

We plan to go out again this weekend since we will be sunny and back up to about 78 deg. Since we don't really use the boat for water sports a day on the lake or running a river is just as good at 75 deg as it is at 90 deg.

Joe

I usually aim for tax day, April 15th.  Lots of boats at my marina launch around St.Patty's day as Chesapeake bay water temps will be on the rise by that time.