Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cyclops2

How many different types of Life vests / jackets are there ?

5 posts in this topic

We have been fishing & had a 4' to 5'  Freighter / cruiser wakes almost roll us right over.   At times both of us have dozed off in the comfortable, fully armed & upholstered chairs.

I do not care what sport they are used in. Versatility & comfort is important.  A new aluminum 18' fishing boat with a 9.9 hp & what ever bigger motor is needed and will be ordered at a boat show or dealership.

I am really looking for a light weight, WIDE hull to take parents & kids into & over about 12" of water with people reseated to level the boat to pass over rock ledges.

Thank you for any advice / guidance.  Telling me what  NOT TO BUY  & why is just as important.

At least three that I am aware of:  The standard orange Coast guard approved styrofoam type; ugly and uncomfortable, but better than nothing I guess. The water sports type, three or four quick release buckles, much safer and likely to stay on if you go overboard at speed. The inflatable type the pro fisherman wear, most convenient and most expensive.

Thank you guys.

I spent a lot of time surfing the new jackets. TOO many types to pick from.  I really want the TYPE 1 HYBRIDS  for high speeds.  A light weight or inflatable for stopped or slow speed trolling. Both need to be automatic with manual inflate & a D ring to tie all together in the water. 

The children selections are far more difficult to decide on.. Neoprene is smooth on kids skin. But Neoprene can be HOT.

Need the types that turn face up. I now have a Pacer & Defibulator in my chest  Safety has no pricing limits. 

I seem to be on a learning curve about the inflatables. Since I can pass out in seconds & stop breathing until I am shocked by my chest unit. I NEED a ALWAYS FILLED jacket & face up unit.  The kids & seniors / parents need the same reliability.  I am looking at the Mustang TYPE 1 SOLAS yoke types.  Anyone go in the water with 1 on ?  How did it float you ? The 30 + pounds of buoyancy are great for dryer face / mouth in waves I can meet on Lake Ontario.