delaney

Air Force or Navy

13 posts in this topic

looking for opinions on the following:  My oldest son would like to be an aeronautical engineer.  His top 3 schools are 1. Michigan 2. Notre Dame 3. Purdue 

Purdue is ranked #1 in the country for this program and Michigan isn't far behind.  Notre Dame has the name to go w/ the degree.  My son is very strongly wanting to apply for the NROTC program.  He wants to be on the aero side.  All 3 schools have ROTC programs for navy and AF

My question to the group is:  "Is the Navy a better option for this type of career path or would the Air Force ROTC program provide more options?"  He like most 17 year olds isn't quite sure if he wants to be an aviator or the engineering side>  

Opinions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he a senior this year?  Has he applied for a ROTC Scholarship(maybe too late unless he's a junior)? That could be a deciding factor.  I had a full ride to Auburn for Army ROTC, but screwed it up.  My sister and her husband both had scholarships to VA Tech, Army and Airforce respectively.  The Airforce has been very good to my BIL with regards to further education as well.  My understanding is that pretty much everyone in the navy has to spend time on a ship.  I'd go Airforce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was enlisted USAF turning wrenches on planes.  Best move I ever made.  I wouldn't be a Delta pilot without those 4yrs I served. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an Aero degree and was commissioned into the USAF and worked at NASA.  There are a lot of factors in play including if he wants to make the military a career or just a stop, what he'd like to specialize in (Aero has a lot of sub-disciplines), where he sees himself living later.  My general advice would be to go to the school he likes the best - the differences in the programs are not that great (they're ALL HARD).  If he thinks he might want to make the military a career then I'd highly suggest an Academy. 

As a Fightin Texas Aggie, I've got to say our Corps of Cadets and Aerospace program are the best in the country, and if he comes to Texas he'll never want to leave ;)  PM me if I can be of any help...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2017 at 9:34 PM, TNBrett said:

Is he a senior this year?  Has he applied for a ROTC Scholarship(maybe too late unless he's a junior)? That could be a deciding factor.  I had a full ride to Auburn for Army ROTC, but screwed it up.  My sister and her husband both had scholarships to VA Tech, Army and Airforce respectively.  The Airforce has been very good to my BIL with regards to further education as well.  My understanding is that pretty much everyone in the navy has to spend time on a ship.  I'd go Airforce.

he is currently a Junior - deadline for application is this spring for him - April for NROTC and June for AF

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pointblankster said:

I got an Aero degree and was commissioned into the USAF and worked at NASA.  There are a lot of factors in play including if he wants to make the military a career or just a stop, what he'd like to specialize in (Aero has a lot of sub-disciplines), where he sees himself living later.  My general advice would be to go to the school he likes the best - the differences in the programs are not that great (they're ALL HARD).  If he thinks he might want to make the military a career then I'd highly suggest an Academy. 

As a Fightin Texas Aggie, I've got to say our Corps of Cadets and Aerospace program are the best in the country, and if he comes to Texas he'll never want to leave ;)  PM me if I can be of any help...

thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pointblankster - my wife and I are trying to help him fully understand first the commitment and what that means and two the various career options w/ an Aero degree.  He is a very structured kid and the Academies are incredible but most of the people we have spoken with have suggested the ROTC programs as a traditional college experience along with a very good degree provide for life lessons for him as well.  I think he should apply for both programs and take campus visits this summer to the various schools.  Like all of us with kids, we want the best for them and want them to be happy and excited about the work that is ahead of them.

What was the hardest part for you?  School or the ROTC part?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest one of the Academies.   Both Navy and Air Force have beautiful schools. Have him apply to both (it's free).  Maybe sign up for their summer seminar programs.  After my daughters first visit to West Point she was in love with the place.   

I believe they open the application process in April of  your junior year so he has a little time.     They also have prep schools for those who are not academically ready right away. 

Sure you miss the standard college life but if he is focused on his career that  is not an issue.  As we all know there will be plenty of times to parties later.    (An they do party at the naval academy for sure)

I have a daughter at West point and as a parent i am happy she is not living the normal college experience.     ROTC are great options as well.  VA Tech I understand has a great program.  

ps.  This is not an endorsement for Navy in any way.  GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kwood92 said:

ps.  This is not an endorsement for Navy in any way.  GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!

:D - it made me laugh when one of my wife's criteria was deciding in which uniform my son looks the best!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, delaney said:

Pointblankster - my wife and I are trying to help him fully understand first the commitment and what that means and two the various career options w/ an Aero degree.  He is a very structured kid and the Academies are incredible but most of the people we have spoken with have suggested the ROTC programs as a traditional college experience along with a very good degree provide for life lessons for him as well.  I think he should apply for both programs and take campus visits this summer to the various schools.  Like all of us with kids, we want the best for them and want them to be happy and excited about the work that is ahead of them.

What was the hardest part for you?  School or the ROTC part?

My father was a Naval aviator and had an MS in EE, and he strongly encourage me to go the ROTC route as well as he felt it produced stronger engineers.  My desire was to serve in the military but to work for NASA long-term (again, lots of factors).  If you want to make God laugh, make a plan - my current career bears little to no resemblance.  

Air Force ROTC classes were not difficult at all, but the Corp of Cadets at Texas A&M is a significant step up from a typical ROTC program - it's really a military college within a larger university.  That was very difficult and a distraction from coursework.  I probably would have had a much higher GPA if I had not been in the Corps, although you could argue the discipline and structure helped.  For me it was a good fit since I wanted a strong engineering program, a strong military program, and a traditional college experience.  I toured lots of schools and could take my ROTC scholarship pretty much anywhere, but for me A&M was the best fit, and A&M has a strong network and brand within the military - aside from the academies the strongest.  Plus, I was targeting Johnson Space Center where I ended up working so it's proximity made sense.  Am I selling A&M hard enough? :)

I think the best advice I could give is tell him to visit everywhere he can and go with where he feels the most comfortable.  I worked with lots of great Aero grads from all over the country.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now