Wow,  Having been in sales all my working life, I have seen some bad eggs, but at the management level, particularly when involved in recruiting for sales people,you learn that good sales people are more motivated by peer and management recognition for doing a good job, and the euphoria they enjoy each time they make a sale. It's a "thrill of the kill" mentality.

When you enjoy success in sales, the money follows.  Good sales people represent their products with integrity and with a goal of providing real benefit to their prospective clients. Bad sales people may achieve short term success using the PT Barnum approach (There is a sucker born every minute)  but they never achieve any longevity with their company or with the type of products they represent.  

When I deal with salespeople as a client, I tend to ask how long they have been representing their product and the company they work for.  If I don't like the answer, I send them on their way.  Conversely, when I see a company with seasoned veteran sales people, who speak highly of the company they work for and where employee turnover is low, I may do business with them even if they may be a tad higher just for my own satisfaction.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, Baum's aweigh said:

Wow,  Having been in sales all my working life, I have seen some bad eggs, but at the management level, particularly when involved in recruiting for sales people,you learn that good sales people are more motivated by peer and management recognition for doing a good job, and the euphoria they enjoy each time they make a sale. It's a "thrill of the kill" mentality.

When you enjoy success in sales, the money follows.  Good sales people represent their products with integrity and with a goal of providing real benefit to their prospective clients. Bad sales people may achieve short term success using the PT Barnum approach (There is a sucker born every minute)  but they never achieve any longevity with their company or with the type of products they represent.  

When I deal with salespeople as a client, I tend to ask how long they have been representing their product and the company they work for.  If I don't like the answer, I send them on their way.  Conversely, when I see a company with seasoned veteran sales people, who speak highly of the company they work for and where employee turnover is low, I may do business with them even if they may be a tad higher just for my own satisfaction.

Well said.  I think you see that in car dealers where there is that one guy in that dealer that gets all of the business,  or there is that one salesman in town that just does it right.  As a consumer buying consumer type items I just think the bad or average outweigh the good sales people by a tremendous amount,  again just my experience in consumer goods, I realize there are lots of salesman in lots of industries.  Why?  Like I said before I think you have a lot of fly by nighters that don't know the product or their company, and to be frank are looking for their lunch money only.  This is nothing new, your always going to have the back and forth between consumer and business or selling agent when you deal with things that do not have a set price and involved commission.  This goes back to the trading days, 4 pelts for 1 gun type of deal, even back then there was the guy that did the best, and the rest that were around just to make it.

It is typically the 80/20 rule where 80% of your sales come from 20% of your staff.  I have worked for companies that have a planned target for sales turnover, always trying to replace the 80% that don't produce.  Back in the day when MBO programs was the standard corporate program (Management By Objective). Sales managers were provided an Objects of XX% turnover or planned turnover.  If you didn't achieve that goal, it affected your bonus.  In other words, you were always being forced to improve your sales force quality.