Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LambChop

Navionics vs iNavX - Inland Lakes Boaters

11 posts in this topic

I know the local lakes like the back of my ... elbow.  Pretty good, but a look at my prop shows that I've had my memory jogged a few times. ;).

With a new and improved (it slices, dices, and even juliennes!) tow vehicle, we'll be able to explore surrounding lakes and rivers.  My first foray into new waters was on Lake Wisconsin last October.  "Plenty of people boat on it, how hard could it be?", I thought.  You can only dodge stumps so long until you realize the stumps you can see aren't necessarily the stumps that you have to worry about.  Turns out, I was boating on the lake/river after the channel markers and hazard buoys had all been pulled.

So, it's time to get a chart plotter.

Since I've already got an iPad and bluetooth GPS/GLONASS receivers are cheap (just ordered the Garmin GLO), I've decided to go the app route rather than the dedicated Garmin/Humminbird/Lowrance unit.  

So, from those of you using tablets/phones for chart plotting, which app (Navionics vs iNavX) do you recommend and why? 

iNavX uses Navionics charts

I use Navionics charts on my Simrad and the Navionics app.  Easy to read accurate and they are the ones that collect the data and do the updates.

From their website:

Navionics has the world’s largest database of marine and lake charts, covering the salt waters of the entire planet as well as tens of thousands of lakes and rivers. Many of these charts have been developed by way of Navionics’ proprietary surveys done both in the field and with remote sensing such as satellite imagery and airborne laser scanners.

I have Navonics on my Iphone 5s. Once you down load it (14 Bucks ??) it stays on that device. It really will help you get around on big lakes. 

Thanks guys.  

I settled on Navionics.  I couldn't find much info on iNavX, at least with power boaters - it seems the coastal sailing guys have taken a liking to iNavX.

50 minutes ago, IndyChap said:

This at NIGHT....    

Does Navionics have a night mode?  Seems like the color scheme would be the opposite of what you'd want to retain proper night vision.

I'm looking at the Navionics web app and wondering how you know the lake level to gauge the depths. So I looked at my lake and I see the depths but that obviously only means when the lake level is at 1,1XX. Wouldn't we need to know that (like I have on my blue map for our lake) so that you know how much to subtract when the level of the lake changes?

Yes, you need to know what is your body of water "mean lower low water" level, or simply an "average" low water level as dictated by seasonal or tidal water level changes, or an arbitrary/customary low point assumed for your chart datum ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chart_datum .

For example, if there is an official water depth gauge on your lake, the "low water level" marker on the gauge is most likely what is used to indicate water depth on the chart. You need to know and add or subtract any seasonal water level changes to/from the water depth indicated on the chart.

You can make the adjustment within the Navionics app to change the levels.  Once that is done you will see it do different shading for those levels.

7 hours ago, watson524 said:

I'm looking at the Navionics web app and wondering how you know the lake level to gauge the depths. So I looked at my lake and I see the depths but that obviously only means when the lake level is at 1,1XX. Wouldn't we need to know that (like I have on my blue map for our lake) so that you know how much to subtract when the level of the lake changes?

2 hours ago, The Great Escape II said:

You can make the adjustment within the Navionics app to change the levels.  Once that is done you will see it do different shading for those levels.

Thanks for the help guys. And THAT'S handy that you can put the level in and it'll change.

Our next boat will have the garmin screen in it (at least I plan to) but do you also use phones? I'm thinking the screens are small. Tablets anyone?

I love Navionics. Lots of features and very detailed charts. I have Navionics + which gives me the sonar charts and community updates which I really like I use it on my phone, works good enough.