Futzin'

220 SSi wake surfing (not mine)

Saw this on YT, thought I'd put it here so we can argue some more . . . hey, it's winter!  :D

220 owners in particular may find it interesting.

Sorry guys, that is not even close to a surf wake. If I knew how to upload a vid, I'd show you what a Chappy can generate with 1200lbs of ballast and a wake plate can throw.  If she sneezed wrong she'd be out of that "prop wash".  I'll see if I can upload a still of our wake thru photo bucket.

Before you go off on me, we don't surf around any docks, houses or anchored up boats.  Nor do we have to ride right off the stern of the boat as shown here.

Here's a picture of our surf wake behind the 244.

URL]%5BURL=http://s759.photobucket.com/user/haygood5/media/IMG_0502.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/haygood5/IMG_0502.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Are you kidding me idiots? You can't wake surf behind an I/o!!! (I figured I'd be the first internet ranger/ tough guy/ know it all :D)

1 hour ago, drewm3i said:

Are you kidding me idiots? You can't wake surf behind an I/o!!! (I figured I'd be the first internet ranger/ tough guy/ know it all :D)

I know your just poking fun here, but I would like to hear from anyone with proof of a single case of prop injury from wake surfing behind an I/O.  Granted our 244 has a significant swim platform, but even without, not sure you could force a limb to the prop thru that much of a wake force rise.  I'm not counting the above video as a wake surf.

This should get some juices flowing.....

Drew you sold your boat?  I saw your "help me choose a new boat" topic, but didn't see that yours had sold.  Got your reload picked out, it's still summer in FL.

Disregard my question Drew, just saw your other forum post, sorry to hear your dealing with that.  Otherwise a great looking boat.

30 minutes ago, Wak'in said:

I know your just poking fun here, but I would like to hear from anyone with proof of a single case of prop injury from wake surfing behind an I/O.  Granted our 244 has a significant swim platform, but even without, not sure you could force a limb to the prop thru that much of a wake force rise.  I'm not counting the above video as a wake surf.

Drew you sold your boat?  I saw your "help me choose a new boat" topic, but didn't see that yours had sold.  Got your reload picked out, it's still summer in FL.

Hahah yeah, I was just trying to start stuff!

I did pick up a new boat after selling mine for basically full asking price. She is in pretty good shape (1998 Sea Ray SUndancer 270 wide beam), but unfortunately I will have to do some structural repairs (I didn't catch that in my inspection).

13 hours ago, brick said:

Lake Martin looks great!

brick

Need to come see us sometime brick, love to show you guys around the lake. Hard to beat this place in the southeast.

9 hours ago, Steve&Steph said:

This will get ppl going...

IMG_1707.jpg

This is a real surf wake. 

No doubt, nothing like a true inboard with surf gates and massive onboard ballast.  Now drop that darn rope!!

8 hours ago, Wak'in said:

No doubt, nothing like a true inboard with surf gates and massive onboard ballast.  Now drop that darn rope!!

He was just getting up.  He is a very capable surfer.  

FYI, I am waiting for the day for a multipurpose boat to be able to compete with an inboard.  I would love to go back.. Sea Ray's entry is very interesting. 

23 hours ago, Wak'in said:

Need to come see us sometime brick, love to show you guys around the lake. Hard to beat this place in the southeast.

Thank you for the offer. We may take you up on it this summer. Our boating day will change this summer, first year with both kids finished college and moved off. Not sure we are gonna like it.

brick

12 hours ago, brick said:

Thank you for the offer. We may take you up on it this summer. Our boating day will change this summer, first year with both kids finished college and moved off. Not sure we are gonna like it.

brick

.....it is all different ... here is our experience.

For a few years it will be your wife and yourself + your friends from time to time, it will be good just different. Then you may find yourself offering to rent a cottage for a family vacation and the kids will come. Then they get married and family vacations will continue and the kids will get married and you will have to rent a bigger cottage. Then the grandbabies start coming and by the second ones the daughters ( don't know if you have daughters or sons)  are looking to move back home for support. By home I mean the wives need to be near their mothers ....I was lucky as 2 of my 3 sons married local girls so 2 live within 15 min of us and the 3rd lives in Michigan where his wife's family is, 8 hours away. Anyway at that point I needed to buy a bigger boat because everyone always wants to go out on the weekends and I need a boat that will carry 10+ all the time :D.

I have also found out that the boy's like "Boy's Boating Nights"  where my son's and I head out, ski, tube, have a beer or 2 + cigar without the wife's and kids. We get away with this 4 or 5 times a season.

So my experience has been good I just hope yours' turns out well too.

Our last one (of 3) leaves for Miss. State this August, not looking forward to that day.  May be about time to reload with a big tri-toon and a 275hp Optimax.  Seems to be the trend with my lake neighbors, glad my boat house lift can easily be converted with a simple bunk change!!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, Wak'in said:

lol.  I know we have been through this before. But due to physics im just not sure its possible.  Wake boats go 6-10mph or 9-14.5 ft per second.  Then add in how far behind the boat you already are, and how far under the prop is from the front of the swim platform.  short of the boat stopping midstream, I  don't see how its possible.  If your 6-10ft back from the boat, and if you fall within a half second your already 5-8ft more behind it.

I want that 2:33 minutes of my life back....this looks exciting enough to last about as long as it takes to upload the selfie-vid to social media! :)

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

lol.  I know we have been through this before. But due to physics im just not sure its possible.  Wake boats go 6-10mph or 9-14.5 ft per second.  Then add in how far behind the boat you already are, and how far under the prop is from the front of the swim platform.  short of the boat stopping midstream, I  don't see how its possible.  If your 6-10ft back from the boat, and if you fall within a half second your already 5-8ft more behind it.

It's all too easy to end up hitting the back of the boat when you're a beginner.  Happened to me several times.  Here's an example . . . skip to last few seconds of the vid.