gwscot2

Drive shower

Who has a drive shower installed on their outdrive? Looking at off season upgrades and have looked at drive showers recently. 

I keep thinking I should install one, but I have not seen a failure personally in over 25 years of boating that the drive shower would have prevented....

So I haven't installed one yet.

Im up in the air to. Merc and the go fast builders don't install them on new boats so maybe they really aren't needed. seems like they want a lot for a bent piece of stainless tubing. Best deal on ebay for a bravo is 205 fawns.

I have to admit, I had to google what a "drive shower" was.  Is this something that freshwater boaters install since I can't see wanting to spray any more saltwater on the outdrive than necessary? 

Watched this video Drive Shower

Is there really any evidence that this thing can significantly reduce your drive's temp?

5 hours ago, gwscot2 said:

Who has a drive shower installed on their outdrive? Looking at off season upgrades and have looked at drive showers recently. 

Are they necessary no, I had one on my Alpha's and now have one on my Bravo.  I love it and would never not have one ever again.  The biggest reason for me is it keeps my drive clean with no hard water build up from the heat of the drive.  My drive looks brand new and no longer have to clean it after every outing.  I do believe they have some value on the Alpha as all my boats with the Alpha would loose a little bit of gear lube do to the heat and with the drive shower the monitor never moved.  But again I never had a drive fail when I ran without one.

Correct type & viscosity drive oil installed by your place ?    Are your water minerals that temperature sensitive ?  My deposits come off every fall power wash.  Being too anal costs you effort & or more money.

I have one, It just bolts one. Even in salt I would get one, Cool water is cool water.

Mercs are not real efficient at cooling the outdrives, VP seem to be better.

Yes the cooling is beneficial, I installed one at approx. 200 hrs after I talked to John P. of The Bravo Shop at LOTO. They build Bravos to handle BIG HP, they test with oil temp. sensors installed and they record significantly cooler gear oil temps.

External chalking was illuminated and the gear oil looked way better at its 50 hr changes.

It should be noted that we currently have 1000 hrs on the boat, and our boating habits are to run 60-80 mls from Omaha up to South Dakota with out stopping for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I will always run one on my boats or two if I get TWINS............

John A.

Depending on the oil used. Oil manufactures DO HAVE A MINIMUM & MAXIMUM set of temperatures the oil should be operated at. 

Many years ago Chrysler had a SLUDGEING problem with their engines. Thermostats were keeping the engine too cold.

Build up on the outside of the housing may have absolutely nothing to do with good or bad oil temperatures of the drive oil.

That said.    Running at WOT for long periods of time will increase the amount of sustained exhaust heat going thru the drive.   Is it too hot ?  Need a test procedure to really find out.

I have never used a drive shower, don't feel I need one. No wster spots on my drive, it is never more than barely warm to the touch. But if you feel better having one, it can't hurt. 

brick

I bought one about 4 years ago, never seemed to get around to installing it, its hanging in my shop.  Last summer my drive failed and needed a 2500 deer rebuild, guess I should have installed the shower?

24 minutes ago, Rick480 said:

I bought one about 4 years ago, never seemed to get around to installing it, its hanging in my shop.  Last summer my drive failed and needed a 2500 deer rebuild, guess I should have installed the shower?

depends on what was wrong with your drive.   Drive shower may have extended the life a little, but wouldn't have changed the outcome

If you do a lot of short runs, it might not be beneficial. But on long runs of 45-60 minutes it will come into play as it does cool the top of the outdrive that is out of the water. We do a lot of long runs in Michigan and Ozark's. In the Ozark's the water is warmer, when if you jump into the water and feel the outdrive it's a little toasty.

I've got one. Was getting that chalky buildup on the drive. I've heard that excessive heat causes rapid drying/evaporation of the water and leaves minerals stuck on the drive. The shower completely eliminates it. I don't care if the cooling effect contributes to the life expectancy of my Bravo 3 or not, just not ever having to clean it is worth the cost. 

13 hours ago, Toddler said:

In the Ozark's the water is warmer, when if you jump into the water and feel the outdrive it's a little toasty.

I'd get that looked at . The tranny should never be described as 'toasty'.

I've never seen the need for one with the style of boating I do. I cruise for 3-4 hours at a time and never see a heat issue.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:30 PM, dn0349 said:

Are they necessary no, I had one on my Alpha's and now have one on my Bravo.  I love it and would never not have one ever again.  The biggest reason for me is it keeps my drive clean with no hard water build up from the heat of the drive.  My drive looks brand new and no longer have to clean it after every outing.  I do believe they have some value on the Alpha as all my boats with the Alpha would loose a little bit of gear lube do to the heat and with the drive shower the monitor never moved.  But again I never had a drive fail when I ran without one.

+1, Love it, wished I had gotten it 24 years ago. The only part of my end of the season clean up that I did nothing to it.

And it does cool the out drive.  Denny.

End of year before using Drive Shower.

IMG_1209_zpsp87jrgdf.jpg

End of year using Drive Shower.

IMG_3739_zpssxssgaaj.jpg