Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wijeff

My Winter Project making outdrive pressure tester

3 posts in this topic

Hello I want to check my lower unit with low psi 5 max . I need to make one first . I would like to see what others use or have made up thanks 

Pretty easy as the drain/fill plug is actually UNC bolt thread. You can also just buy a cheap lube oil pump and steal the fitting. Pressure regulator and a short hose. I have a 55 gallon plastic drum that I fill with water and lower in the drive on hard to find leaks. 5 psig is very conservative. Also remember that out-drives use double acting lip seals. The inward facing lip keeps oil in and the outer facing seal lip keeps water out. For this reason, a vacuum test is as important as a internal pressure test.  W

I second the vacuum test. I found out that mine would hold 15 psi for 24 hrs but would lose vacuum much quicker. Discovered my shift seal had gone bad. I purchased my testers but I have seen sites where creative individuals made theirs with brake bleeding components purchased at Harbor Freight. I believe iboats.com has a few threads on how to make your own. Just make sure you get good seals on all connections or you`ll be chasing a ghost. I also suggest you build a unit that will test more than 5 psi, I`d shoot for guaging 15-20 psi.